SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bang-for-buck, what are the best upgrades for my stock '01 T5? I've got the car at a great stage 0 (did the t-belt yesterday) and would like to add some power.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
There is no such thing, and don't evev THINK about a K&N air filter. Enjoy your fine automobile. I added a nice Eurosport Touring exhaust system, but that is not exactly a budget price and any performance gain is difficult to tell, sounds fabulous though.

Best

P

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
What's wrong with a K&N? I was just getting ready to install one.
Like to know too. I have used K&N before in my previous cars.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Tune is best bang for buck.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Lots of folks dislike the amount of dirt that the K&N passes into the motor. Some also have issues with the oil fouling the MAF.

Get a tune from Lucky, #1 bang for the buck.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
That's ARD, right?
Yes.
Haven't checked recently, but I posted a thread earlier this summer about their tunes being pretty affordable vs. the competition. But then I heard the R tunes went up after that so I don't know if the T5 tunes are still a great price.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
What's wrong with a K&N? I was just getting ready to install one.
Hey sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

Please do NOT, repeat DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY on a fancy race-boy AIR FILTER and think for one stinking minute you are increasing the performance of the car. It is a total waste of money and you run the risk of the oil needed to make the K&N work half way good on your MAF system, causing so many problems in some of the Porsche cars, that the REPUTRABLE (did I say REPUTABLE) and HONEST top-of-the-line vendors quit selling them (they were causing all kinds of problems with the MAF system).

I know..................I speak from experience, having wasted my own money, and having experienced the problems. Therefore I burned mine I was so disgusted.

I found the paper filter to work just fine, note how many long additional filter square inches of pleats the paper filter actually has. K&N claims a square inch of their filter flows more air and it does, with more dirt too. However, if you add up the additional filter area of the paper filter, you get the same amount of air passing into the motor and a heck of a lot better filtration.

Unfortunately I bought two of these filters for two of my 3 Porsche cars, before I got the message from Wally Plumley, ex NASA engineer and present day Porsche 928 expert. I'm just trying to pass it on, because I t:cool:hink the K&N is a rip-off. (It is a free country still, isn't it, I still have the freedom of speech, right?)

In addition, if the K&N marketing still has you as a believer, then go ahead and BUY ONE, it is your money, your decison, and your car.................and then when you do buy one, place a little dab of grease or something inside your air box to see what it catches by getting through the fancy race-boy filter you just bought.

The advice is being sent to you by an informed enthusiast, you can argue the point all you want, and again it is your money. My advice is to save it for something much more important, like a ham sandwich, a beer, peraps a set of shoe strings, maybe a pack of gum, you get the idea.

best,

P

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Personally, I think an exhaust system makes a nice addition, but I have no idea how much of a difference it makes. On our 2.5 turbo XC90, now sold, we used a REMUS exhaust system and when I returned the car to the dealership I removed the REMUS and installed the stock system, and I was shocked at how little response the car had by comparison. That was a real world test.

I recently installed a Eurosport system on my 2.5 XC70 and I think it makes a difference too. However even if it does not, I love the sound upgrade and would do it again just to get that sound. I used the Touring version and not the Sport version, because the T version is still a straight flow right through a skimpy front resonator and would not detract from perfoermance, and it is plenty of a bark the way it is.

Once you install the system, it is there under all conditions, it never goes out of tune, you never have to change anything, and the performance is there forever passively without any wear on the motor. :cool:

regards,

P

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Personally, I think an exhaust system makes a nice addition, but I have no idea how much of a difference it makes. On our 2.5 turbo XC90, now sold, we used a REMUS exhaust system and when I returned the car to the dealership I removed the REMUS and installed the stock system, and I was shocked at how little response the car had by comparison. That was a real world test.

I recently installed a Eurosport system on my 2.5 XC70 and I think it makes a difference too. However even if it does not, I love the sound upgrade and would do it again just to get that sound. I used the Touring version and not the Sport version, because the T version is still a straight flow right through a skimpy front resonator and would not detract from perfoermance, and it is plenty of a bark the way it is.

Once you install the system, it is there under all conditions, it never goes out of tune, you never have to change anything, and the performance is there forever passively without any wear on the motor. :cool:

regards,

P
How is the fuel consumption with the exhaust system?

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Sorry for the delay just saw the note. Fuel testing has sort of taken a back seat lately after I went through all that 87 octane testing and saw no increase in milage when using higher grades of fuel.

I had hoped to see a measurable difference in fuel consumption but since I got the exhaust I think I am actually driving a little faster, love the sound and I believe there is a performance boost too, but can not quantify it. The motor runs like a bear, especially with the higher octane.

best,

P

1 - 12 of 12 Posts