SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I am trying to modify my car for some added performance. I just got my first volvo and so far I love it but I just want it to be a little more competitive. If anyone can give me advice on where to find parts or what parts to get that would be great. you can get back to me here or at [email protected] Thank you very much for anything you can do for me.<P>

·
Registered
27 Posts
IPD (www.ipdusa.com) makes a cam for that year (pretty sure) under $200. They also sell exhaust kits for 240s which are also reasonable. They also sell suspension upgrades that are very popular.<P>

·
Registered
313 Posts
Don't forget the junkyard. Volvo turbos came with meatier anti-sway bars and chassis braces up front that will cost a fraction of what the aftermarket charges. Then there's aluminum wheels from Turbos or GL's, which will lower both rotating and unsprung mass which always helps performance.<P>If you don't have a tachometer, you can get one of those from the junkyard also, the wire is already there, and it just bolts to the gauge cluster where the big clock is (this is assuming the '90 240 uses the same gauge cluster as the 80's cars - I think they do, but I'm not positive)<P>cheers,<BR>scott<P>

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
The 2 door and 4 door 240 Turbos will have a 23mm front sway bar and a 21mm rear sway bar that will be an inexpensive handling upgrade.<P>I'm not sure of the weight of the 14" GL alloy wheels, but IMO they're not worth getting unless it was for looks only because they're soft and they're the same size as the stock steel wheels. The benefits of the 240 Turbo wheels are that they are wider and larger than the stock wheels, so there's a better choice of performance tires, plus they look pretty good. Even though they are aluminum alloy, they're still quite heavy (my turbo wheels are about 18 lbs. each w/o tires).<P>The junkyard tip is a good idea. You could pull an exhaust system off a 240T since it uses 2.25" pipes instead of 2". Or you could get the IPD sport exhaust that uses one muffler and 2.25" pipes. It adds noticable power, and the sound is nice. A performance air filter and a modified air box might add a little top end performance. An electric fan conversion will also free up a little more power. Wider/softer tires make a big difference in handling as well. After that it starts getting expensive. Check out the mods section at <A HREF="http://www.turbobricks.org" TARGET=_blank>www.turbobricks.org</A> for more ideas.<P>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts