SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought a full set of used R Brembo brakes from a dismantler about a year ago and have been waiting for some spare time to work on them for a brake upgrade come this spring.*

The plan is to remove the pistons, dust/ pressure seals, and pad shims. *Inspect them and replace as needed. Media blast all the calipers (the original paint is in terrible shape and it looks like one of them has been resprayed before as its starting to flake) and powder coat.

I'm undecided as to what color I want to use but don't want red or black as they are your typical BBK paint colors. I want something a little more unique. I still have some time to figure that out. I will be updating this thread as I progress but don't expect this to be fast moving as the bulk of it will be done here and there after work.*

As of this post I have the pistons and seals pulled from both front calipers and so far need to only replace one dust seal. I believe that someone has already replaced the front pistons with the stainless versions available from viva. I have one already stripped and will be working on the other tonight.*

From the dismantler.

Pistons, seals, and shims removed.

Pistons.

Stripped.

I kind of like the flat black of the metal but there's no way I would leave them that way!

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
If and when I powdercoat mine, I'm doing to do the dark-ish blue that matches the Volvo logo. Bright Yellow looks pretty awesome as an accent color too. I got my 122 sway bar powdercoated yellow in the color that matched Bilsteins the closest.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yellow is definately on the list. I was also thinking the burnt orange that you see on alot of recent Chevys might also go on the list but I would need to see it first. Going to be trying my hand a PS in the near future.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I personally would have left the OEM grey with R.
Whatever color I go with I will not be replacing the R. Just like with the R bumper and grill, I removed the R badge from that also. I don't mind using parts from R cars but Im not a fan of badge engineering.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Whatever color I go with I will not e replacing the R. Just like with the R bumper and grill, I removed the R badge from that also. I don't mind using parts from R cars but Im not a fan of badge engineering.
Classy. I agree wholeheartedly.

sent from...

·
Registered
332 Posts
I bought a full set of used R Brembo brakes from a dismantler about a year ago and have been waiting for some spare time to work on them for a brake upgrade come this spring.*

The plan is to remove the pistons, dust/ pressure seals, and pad shims. *Inspect them and replace as needed. Media blast all the calipers (the original paint is in terrible shape and it looks like one of them has been resprayed before as its starting to flFake) and powder coat.

I'm undecided as to what color I want to use but don't want red or black as they are your typical BBK paint colors. I want something a little more unique. I still have some time to figure that out. I will be updating this thread as I progress but don't expect this to be fast moving as the bulk of it will be done here and there after work.*

As of this post I have the pistons and seals pulled from both front calipers and so far need to only replace one dust seal. I believe that someone has already replaced the front pistons with the stainless versions available from viva. I have one already stripped and will be working on the other tonight.*

I kind of like the flat black of the metal but there's no way I would leave them that way!
Great Job!
This was one of my favorite upgrades as well. I really like the look of the factory gray, matches the titanium paint well. if i were to paint them though, i would most likely do yellow and ditch the R logo. I did the same thing with my bumper.

I think once i get my new wheels refinished and mounted, the brakes will get a refinish as well.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quick update. Been busy at work so not alot of spare time to put in on these. I called all local powdercoaters and none of them will bake the calipers without being split. They don't want to be liable for failed orings. So, it looks like I will be splitting the calipers in half even though there are no direct replacement orings. I have both front calipers stripped (just need to split them in half) and I have the pistons removed from the rear calipers (they will be stripped next).

I will update with pics when I have the calipers split in half and hopefully the orings will be serviceable.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Brembo gold also looks nice.
Why Volvo chose grey is beyond me..
I reckon it is because brembo gold usually on Japanese sports cars such as Skyline GT-R, Imprezza STI and EVo. Volvo may not want such similar color.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Time for an update.

I dropped the calipers off at the powdercoaters about a week ago. I got the call today that they are ready. I ended up going with yellow as it was the single coat color I liked the best. Had I decided to get what I really wanted, they would have ended up gold but that would have been almost twice as much as it is a two stage coat as opposed to the yellow single coat. I will be picking them up either at the end of the week or early next week depending on how my work schedule treats me.

I also placed an order for all new pads rotors and shoes. I went with the Centric for all of it. Posi-quiet metallic for the pads and shoes and high carbon blanks for the rotors. Went through a place called amazingsavingsautoparts.com. I was slightly skeptical because of how inexpensive they were selling the parts as compared to other online retailers but when I received the boxes they were drop shipped directly from Centric in California.

I still need to order a dust boot, the pressure seals, and the brembo decals but I should be able to assemble the rotors when I pick them up.

I am planning on using either black or silver decals. I will probably get a set of each so I can do a comparison with the calipers on the car and make my decision then.

Pictures to follow soon!

Also, a question for those who have done a P2 R Brembo conversion. Are the brake line lengths and connections the same between R's and non-R's?

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Picked the calipers up yesterday. Going to try to put the two halves together this weekend. A preview pic

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
Love the color. Did you ever find someone to sell you the seals or are you just re-using the ones you took out? Or are they just o-rings?

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm going to reuse the original seals. I've looked everywhere for replacements and have come up empty handed. Even other vehicle makes that use Brembo 2 peice calipers without the external cross over tube don't have anything available (ie. Evo's, STI's, Vipers, ect.). From what I have read, people just reuse the old seals if they are not torn or deteriorated.

The only other option I have found is to send the original seal to an oring manufacture to have them make a custom mould which would be expensive for just 4 seals.

Mine are still in good condition thankfully. I will post up a picture of them as they are not just plain orings. They have a shoulder on them.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This is the oring that is aparently made out of unobtanium.

One front caliper assembled. I will hopefully have them all assembled by the weekend. Still need to place an order for Brembo decals, a dust boot, and a set of stainless brake lines. Almost there.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Loud and beautiful! Good luck with the install!

·
Registered
16,945 Posts
Should of done them in glow in the dark .....

1 - 20 of 28 Posts