SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello friends,
I'm posting because I've been having this issue for a long time now, probably going on a year and it's driving me crazy. I've taken it to a shop, left it there for almost a week and they were unsuccessful in figuring it out.

Car: 2005 Volvo S60R MT 90K

Problem:
There is a loud noise when I turn coming from the front end (drivers side), to me it sounds like it's coming from near the control arm. It's heard whenever I turn left or right, come to a stop, accelerate from a stop. It can be heard when moving or when stopped if I turn the steering wheel back and forth. It's a crunching, buckling, cracking sound, almost like something is rolling, sounds like metal on metal. Sounds like it's also under tension. I had the car looked at, it does not make the noise when the wheel is off the ground. Lca's look good, ball joint was just replaced, I just changed the strut mount, the bearings were pretty greasy but the noise is still there. While I was in there I inspected the spring seat and it had no cracks looked okay to me. Drive axles have no leaks or punctures. The shop listened through a stethoscope and said the noise was most audible from the ball joint. Not heard in the steering rack.

Please help!

Also I'm having a cel for p0089 fuel pressure performance.
What do you guys recommend I start with? Fuel filter? Fps?

·
Registered
94 Posts
I've just had an identical issue.
It turned out that it was the rear near side link rod!!!
Yes the noise travels all the way down the car and makes you think its coming from the front LCA.
May not be, but worth a shot. I tried everything before I found the cause.
Good luck.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Sorry, Off side link rod on the rear. I'm RHD.
Shake the car by holding the roof bars and it may reveal the location.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts