SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So yesterday I was doing a routinely check on my oil and noticed I have bubbles on dip stick and it looks like the oil is splashing on it. I've never seen this before on my car or other cars. I also changed the oil about 800 miles ago. Anyone have an idea if this is normal? I'm going to stop driving the car until I know what this is exactly. :confused:

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Came back from a 15min drive and checked it in the driveway. So the engine was at an optimal temp.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
While it was on after I parked in the driveway, I did not wait, I checked it immediately. I also checked it earlier but I let the car sit for about 15min and it looked fine, then I turned it on and checked, the oil was the same as the pictures.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Someone mentioned that it might be my oil pan seal is bad and letting in air.

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
Think about it, when the engine is operating how many different parts are in motion and where the oil is going to, what kind of temperatures/pressures is the oil subjected to, some bubbles are going to happen. If you see finely dispersed bubbles, or worse foaming, then it's possible that the the O-ring/seal in the oil pan is leaking.

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
Since you've shown yours, I'll show you mine.

This was taken at idle immediately after stopping. Using M1 0w-40, and have 4k miles on it. Bubbles quickly dispersed. Completely normal.

·
Registered
8,055 Posts

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This is a common issue for oil which is why they contain anti-foaming agents. Nothing to worry about here as long as you are using a quality oil.
Using Castrol Edge 5W-30.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
So yesterday I was doing a routinely check on my oil and noticed I have bubbles on dip stick and it looks like the oil is splashing on it. I've never seen this before on my car or other cars. I also changed the oil about 800 miles ago. Anyone have an idea if this is normal? I'm going to stop driving the car until I know what this is exactly. :confused:]
How many quarts did you use - Make certain you didn't 'overfill' by mistake...

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Since you've shown yours, I'll show you mine.

This was taken at idle immediately after stopping. Using M1 0w-40, and have 4k miles on it. Bubbles quickly dispersed. Completely normal.

Thanks dude, this actually made me feel better, haha! I did more testing over the past two days and was getting same results. The thing that freaked me out is that Ive checked my oil before, while the engine is running, while its off, 5 mins after and when its cold. I never noticed this stuff, so thats why I freaked out. :D

How many quarts did you use - Make certain you didn't 'overfill' by mistake...
Whats the best way to check the level of oil (I always wondered this)? Should I check when the car is cold or after a drive?

·
Registered
911 Posts
This is normal. Every white-block Volvo I have owned does this and it's a well documented phenomenon.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Checked the oil 7mins after I turned the car off. Looks good!

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
There's always air in the oil pan, it's basically just a tub that holds oil with a pump in the bottom.
What the friend meant is the oil pan O-rings where the oil pickup tube feeds in to the oil pump. If the pump sucks a lot of air because the pan o-ring seal is bad, then lots of bubbles and foam will appear. This will cause low oil pressure and is an easy fix. It's common on higher mileage whiteblocks.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
What the friend meant is the oil pan O-rings where the oil pickup tube feeds in to the oil pump. If the pump sucks a lot of air because the pan o-ring seal is bad, then lots of bubbles and foam will appear. This will cause low oil pressure and is an easy fix. It's common on higher mileage whiteblocks.
Ah, I see. I imagine this would cause a visible leak underneath the car as well, no?

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 22 Posts