SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I ordered a BSR sports filter and will receive it next week. It is just a replacement filter so install should be easy.

BUTTTTT...I just checked under my hood to look for my stock filter... I noticed a black air box so I suppose it is in there.

My question now, how do you open this thing, do you need special screwdriver ???I have no clue and I dont want to open too much so that afterwards I am stuck with screws etc
) Can somebody please advise what to do and what to use...I dont even know which screws should be removed in order to open the airbox...

All help is welcome, especially on how and where to unscrew the airbox.

Thanks,
Joa

·
Super Moderator
14,857 Posts
Re: BSR SPORTS FILTER (jsalien)

does anyone know the static pressure drop differences between the OEM filter and the BSR (or similar) aftermarket filter?

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Re: (R_Rated)

Quote, originally posted by R_Rated »
you need a torque screw driver... I have heard it caled different but that is what I was brought up calling them.

I believe "Torx" is the correct term

Regards,

Derek

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Re: (bb vign)

I never knew the name. I always thought it was a safety screw, atleast that is what I grew up calling it. Then again I live in the South but according to this http://www.alphadictionary.com....html I am only 43% southern.

To answer your question there are 6 of the "torx" screws and once you unscrew them the lid comes off. The filter takes a little bit of force to get in but it fits. Good luck.

Oh, you can by the torx bits at any hardware store.

http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Re: (R_Rated)

torx. they look like little hexagons....

you can find small cheap sets that will go into most standard socket sets....i think I picked up a cheapy set at the local auto parts store. you'll need the same style tools to get the valve cover off too...just a larger size.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Re: BSR SPORTS FILTER (Stratton)

It is a tight fit but I found that if you apply a little saliva to the end of the filter it will seat much easier into the airbox. May the twisted comments begin, but it really did work.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Re: BSR SPORTS FILTER (phuz)

don't buy the screwdriver from the dealer, they want to charge some crazy figure. I got one at one of the auto stores for like $15 and it has a ton of different pins that I can use for different size applications. Forgot what they call it though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: BSR SPORTS FILTER (Red60R)

Hello all,

Just installed the BSR laserblue drop-in filter in the R,

First impressions (my s60r is stock):

- sound isnt incredible difference though engine has a more RAW sound and is louder then stock, especially in advanced mode and sports mode there is an obvious difference.
- engine behaviour is a lot smoother and more relax. I just tried it out at 23 degrees celsius and you feel the engine picks up better and feels more at ease.
- looks, the laser blue looks awesome !

Regârds,

a happy s60r owner

·
Super Moderator
14,857 Posts
Re: BSR SPORTS FILTER (jsalien)

you noticed a difference in sound by switching it to advanced mode?!?!

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Re: BSR SPORTS FILTER (Stratton)

Quote, originally posted by Stratton »
I believe it's a Torx 20
Yes, it's definately a Torx 20 (T20). Be careful not to over-tighthen them, they thread into some pretty strong plastic but still easy to strip the PLASTIC threads.

Make sure the top of the box is seated properly BEFORE you put the torx screws back in.

LTA

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.