SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do realize this has been beaten pretty repeatedly here...but i've seen a few threads recently and now that I see the price at which Partsforvolvosonline.com is offering the BSR PPC I have to put it out there and ask those who are tuned to chime in.

RICA vs BSR

Anyone had both? Experiences? Dynos? How does the power feel?

Just want some input before I decide to drop 1k on RICA vs 700 on BSR.

Oh yea and, what denotes Stg 1,2,3?

I assumed stage 3 was the intake and downpipe but am not entirely sure.

Also, is there a price difference on upgrading to Stage 3? Or can I ask for a stage 3 upon uploading my 'READ CAR' to BSR?

·
Registered
489 Posts
Since you have FWD I would go with BSR since they offer the most power at Stage 3 with just DP and Exhaust, however I have heard that RICA gives you power distributed evenly while BSR is conservative in the early power-band and gives you more later on, however someone with BSR will have to comment on that.

My experience with RICA was very good I communicated with the engineers directly in the Netherlands and they were up at even 11pm their time answering my questions and sending me tunes.
Also re-tunes being free is worth the 1k price tag.

With RICA you will be at stage 2, as their stage 3 involves upgrading you turbo.

Overall the extra responsiveness and kick in the pants will make you very happy

·
Registered
694 Posts
Am I correct in understanding that the RICA tune requires 93 octane where the BSR one can use 91? Its impossible to find anything higher than 91 in california, so therefore im looking for the best bang for my buck in stage 1 since I wont be able to go any higher due to lack of 93 octane.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Re: BSR/RICA (cicatrizdare)

I think they are both kind of similar. You can only squeeze so much out of the tiny turbo. I was more concerned about the A/F ratio. I've seen some dynos in the past with very lean A/F ratio. I was surprised and glad to see my A/F in a good range (between 12.5 and 13.0). Leaner A/F gives you more power but risk engine damage.

If you want to go the BSR route, you may want to send them a message stating your situation. Let them know that you have a downpipe already and want to go to straight to stage 3. I know Oldman nagged them enough they finally gave it to him. I paid $200 for the upgrade 2 years later.

BSR requires 93 octane. I guess you can run 91, but the car will back off performance a little.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
BSR and RICA Stage 3 (DP + intake) require 93 octane.

Only Stage 1 tunes can use 91.

I am in the same boat. I've been thinking about an ECU reflash. Since CA doesn't have 93 octane, I think the cheaper BSR Stage 1 is the way to go.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: BSR/RICA (volvoNB)

Quote, originally posted by volvoNB »
I think they are both kind of similar. You can only squeeze so much out of the tiny turbo. I was more concerned about the A/F ratio. I've seen some dynos in the past with very lean A/F ratio. I was surprised and glad to see my A/F in a good range (between 12.5 and 13.0). Leaner A/F gives you more power but risk engine damage.

If you want to go the BSR route, you may want to send them a message stating your situation. Let them know that you have a downpipe already and want to go to straight to stage 3. I know Oldman nagged them enough they finally gave it to him. I paid $200 for the upgrade 2 years later.

BSR requires 93 octane. I guess you can run 91, but the car will back off performance a little.

How do you like the power NB? Got any comparisons to make?

·
Registered
2,424 Posts

I seem to have a very aggressive tune. Best way to describe it is that the car wants to lunge all the time. Even when the car upshifts it lunges. After a while you learn how to control it. Then there are days I just let it go. I've seen psi spike as high as 14.2 once but most of the time it's around 13.2 - 13.8 range. The psi drops to around 11psi range right before shifting.

I only have my wife's C30 to compare it to. It was fun driving the new car for two days or so. The stock C30 has such smooth power delivery and subtle gear changes. After that, I miss the power and aggressive nature of my car. I'm back to preferring drive my own car now. Just based on feel, my car would spank my wife's badly. It just doesn't have the throw you back in your seat when you floor it that my car has (relatively of course).

I like RICA for their more diverse tune range. They do create a lot of different tunes besides the basic 1-3.

If there is anybody in the DFW area that has a different tune or just want to do a side to side compare, I'll happy to meet up and try.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Re: (S40DaB)

haha no kidding. Your mods seem very comparable to mine. The only very slightly advantage I may have is that I have lighter rims.

Come on Dallas peeps. Let's meet up. If you are stock, I'll let you drive my car to see what it is like.

·
Registered
357 Posts

I asked ViVa and BSR about their tunes recently.
I have a K&N intake, ATP intercooler, 3inch Downpipe, 3inch exhaust.

This was what they said.

Thank you for contacting ViVA Performance.

Based on the information you provided regarding your S40's current
modifications, you are a prime candidate for our Stage 2 RICA PPC Tuning
System software. Our Stage 2 software is rated for 285 hp and 420 Nm of
torque at the engine using 93 octane fuel. Since you only have access to
91 octane fuel, your performance will be slightly lower as the ECU will
compensate for the reduced octane.

The initial RICA PPC Tuning System costs $999.99 plus shipping/handling,
with subsequent software upgrades costing $100 for each session.
However, if you order the Stage 2 software right off the bat, there is
no additional $100 charge.

We can offer you free express shipping/handling on the RICA PPC Tuning
System for being a Swedespeed member.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Regards,

George - ViVA Performance
[email protected]

-------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------
BSR
We are sorry bur we don´t have any software who is adapted to your car´s spec.

·
Registered
502 Posts
iPd Matt. I have yet to hear of a bad experience from them be it completely custom tune (manual swap on a 00R(non existant!)) to a completely off the shelf stage 1.

I had BSR on my old car and customer service was non existent. Also, power was only had at somewhere around 4.5k at which point the car surged forward in a rather barbaric rage. The car never did run right and BSR basically blamed it on my car and completely denied having a less than decent tune. Boost would spike regularly and cause it to almost have a "ping" affect where it would spike then suddenly bounce back down 6 psi and repeated this until i let off the throttle.

I've heard the same story with RICA as far as customer service. But if you're dead set on the two, go with RICA as you can at least get custom tunes should you want to go a different route with mods in the future. From experience, my strategy is save up and do it right the first time.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Has anyone heard of or dealt with this company http://www.vectorautotuning.com/ ? I came across them when I was reading the BSR intake thread. I emailed them and found out the following.
1. I will not deal with BSR, this company will be doing the tune(does this mean I won't have the same "updated tunes" that caused everyone to lose power in the low end and all power was moved to the high end?)
2. It's 91 octane based, which is a plus living in California
3. All updates are free (this seems to be a big one when deciding tunes)

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Re: (SDS40)

Quote, originally posted by SDS40 »
Has anyone heard of or dealt with this company http://www.vectorautotuning.com/ ? I came across them when I was reading the BSR intake thread. I emailed them and found out the following.
1. I will not deal with BSR, this company will be doing the tune(does this mean I won't have the same "updated tunes" that caused everyone to lose power in the low end and all power was moved to the high end?)
2. It's 91 octane based, which is a plus living in California
3. All updates are free (this seems to be a big one when deciding tunes)

The owner of that company is on Swedespeed.

Do some google searches and you will find his posts.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So my final question to those with the BSR stage 3; am I correct in understanding that the issue with updated tunes not having enough power down low is not affecting Stage 3 owners?

I contacted BSR and they told me I could go Stage 3 right from the get-go with no extra charge...so it's tempting.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts