SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok first before I get started,......JOHANN, CLOSE THIS THREAD AND BACK AWAY FROM YOUR COMPUTER......

Now for everyone else and espesically R Kelly. I had my R dyno-ed today on a DynaPack AWD dyno. The purpose was to see if I was still getting the pinging when using the latest BSR PPC program and a 3" DP as well as getting an idea of what HP and TQ its making.

My first run is with 3"DP only, 93 octane gas and ambient temp is about 65F.
HP is 267.1 and TQ is 276.24. FYI When I did the same run in June of 04 on the same dyno my numbers for HP are almost identical but the TQ was lower. The ambient temp for that run was 80F and much more humid. NO DETONATION ON THIS RUN.

My next run is with 3"DP and latest version of BSR PPC on 93 octane and temp is 65F. This time at about 4900 rpm I get extreme detonation. the mechanic immediately shuts down for fear of doing damage to the motor. We tried a second run but the same thing. Engine is still making power at that point but.....

I had gone to the shop almost out of gas, no more than 3 or 4 gallons in the tank, the yellow warning light was on. For the heck of it we dump in 5 gallons of 100 octane gas which gave me almost a 1/3 of a tank, disconnect that battery for about 15 minutes and try again. We let the car idle for about 5 or 6 minutes and then do another run. Same thing at about 4900rpm.
The mechanic trys a second run, motors runs right up to 6500rpm no problem. We did another 3 runs and all ran great right up to 6500 rpm. The numbers for these runs were 294.1 Hp and 286.79 Tq.
I have scanned the graphs if someone would like to post them.

So now I have almost a 1/4 of a tank of 100octane that I can have fun with before I go back to stock program on the ECU.
I discussed the pinging problem with the mechanic and its his opinion the air/fuel ratio is way too lean. It does richen up some at high rpm but not enough.

Soooo, for you guys with the BSR PPC program and want to go ahead and put a 3"DP on, be advised....unless you want to run 100 octane gas, you might want to think twice.. hint hint R Kelly.

OK NOW YOU CAN COME BACK TO YOUR COMPUTER JOHANN.....

·
Premium Member
3,358 Posts
Re: BSR and 3"DP dyno (RhaRdeR)

Hey Jay. Where did you go to do a DynaPack dyno? XXX Tuing in Hartford?

·
Registered
1,591 Posts

Quote, originally posted by RhaRdeR »
I had gone to the shop almost out of gas, no more than 3 or 4 gallons in the tank, the yellow warning light was on. For the heck of it we dump in 5 gallons of 100 octane gas which gave me almost a 1/3 of a tank, disconnect that battery for about 15 minutes and try again. We let the car idle for about 5 or 6 minutes and then do another run. Same thing at about 4900rpm.
The mechanic trys a second run, motors runs right up to 6500rpm no problem. We did another 3 runs and all ran great right up to 6500 rpm. The numbers for these runs were 294.1 Hp and 286.79 Tq.

You were probably burning off the 93 that was in the pump and fuel lines on that first run.

·
Registered
18,762 Posts

FYI I did a series of dyno runs and was able, because of the BSR softloader, to get stock, BSR only, 3"DP only, and BSR and 3"DP runs. I've posted this in the past but here it is again:

Stock 248.2 hp 258.44 ft/lbs 16.2psiBSR 273.1 hp 274.4 ft/lbs 19.4 psi
3"DP 266.2 hp 257.9 ft/lbs 18.5 psi
BSR & 3"DP 286.0 hp 275.3 ft/lbs 19.3 psi

these runs were taken within 3 weeks of eash other on two days in May and June. Temps in the garage where mid 70's and all runs on 93 octane. DSTC was shut off and Advance mode was on. The dyno was a 4 wheel drive Dynapack dyno. This type dyno bolts right to your hubs, no wheel slippage. If you figure about 20% lose in the drivetrain, the best numbers are close to 343hp at the crank.

My first run is with 3"DP only, 93 octane gas and ambient temp is about 65F.
HP is 267.1 and TQ is 276.24.

Ok, so what you are saying is with a 3" DP and BSR with 97 octane gas, you are putting out 356hp, 327 lb ft at the crank. That is right in line with my prediction of 354hp with BSR, and 3" DP.

Question though, why is the detonation only happening on the dyno but not in daily driving?

I wonder how it will react to 94-96 octane available here...

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: BSR and 3"DP dyno (Volvo Grrrr)

Quote, originally posted by Volvo Grrrr »
Hey Jay. Where did you go to do a DynaPack dyno? XXX Tuing in Hartford?

Yes, its XXTuning. If anyones interested they do "Dyno Days" http://xxtuning.com/

They had about 10 cars sitting on the floor for sale including an S6 Audi wagen and one pretty sharp Supra that I was told is pushing 690whp.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Re: BSR and 3"DP dyno ("R" Kelly)

Quote, originally posted by "R" Kelly »

Question though, why is the detonation only happening on the dyno but not in daily driving? .

IAT? No dyno can approximate true airflow/cooling no matter how big their "fans" are.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: BSR and 3"DP dyno (StaggRLee)

Good info http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
10,097 Posts
Re: BSR and 3"DP dyno ("R" Kelly)

Quote, originally posted by "R" Kelly »
Question though, why is the detonation only happening on the dyno but not in daily driving?

If it happens on the dyno under certain IAT/Load conditions you can bet it will happen on the street also but you will not notice it as being detonation. You can't hear it because of the driving noise, you can feel hesitation or weird engine behavior.
You can use a knock sensing device with a headphone to sense knock while driving.

Often the engine knock prevention systems stop functioning above a certain RPM because the mechanical noises of an engine will be to loud making it trigger the knock prevention.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts

That's a wicked increase just for gas. Someone should do dyno runs on a stock R with 91, 94, 100 just for giggles. I realize there is a DP and other stuff in this instance but wonder how much difference gas really makes.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: BSR and 3"DP dyno (Johann)

Almost exactly what the mechanic had told me. First of all you might not here the knock because of wind noise. I can best describe the sound as like beating on a piece if tin with a metal spoon. You could also hear it in the exhaust. It was very obvious standing beside the car and a little scarry knowing the sound was coming out of my motor.
The mechanic suggested a knock sensing device that I could purchase but I was getting the detonation pretty consistently at 4900rpm so why bother.

Regarding fans, there were two hi velocity fans blowing directly into the IC. They also had another fan that was about 5' in diameter but we didn't use it. On our last run heat soak was becoming apparent so we stopped. I brought my camera along to take pictures but realized there was no memory card in it when I tried to take a few shots.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: BSR and 3"DP dyno (vintagemilano)

I don't know that the octane made more HP, what it did do was allow me to accelerate up to 6500 rpm with no detonation. WIth the 93 octane we shut down at 5000 rpm because of detonation but the numbers were still climbing and had not peaked.

·
Premium Member
9,303 Posts

Jay - 2 questions. What brand of 93 octane? And, it only knocks with the PPC tune and 3", i.e. the same software doesn't knock with the stock DP?

Tom.

·
Registered
247 Posts

But all that is not good news.... meaning PPC BSR still not an option with 3'' Downpipe.. a shame!

·
Registered
18,762 Posts
Re: BSR and 3"DP dyno (Bavaria R)

Quote, originally posted by Bavaria R »
But all that is not good news.... meaning PPC BSR still not an option with 3'' Downpipe.. a shame!

Well, when the guy here gets his BSR, we'll see how it does with 98RON and 3" DP.

3" DP only

3" DP and BSR, 93 Octane (shut down due to pinging at 4900)

3" DP and BSR, 97 Octane

Is it just me or does the BSR + DP + 97 Octane really lose torque below 3000 rpm compared to stock tune with DP?

·
Registered
751 Posts

In the summer, only when my windows are open, I hear a sound that sounds almost exactly like a ping. It is NOT a ping. It is the wastegate's normal "cycling" as it uses Pulse Width Modulation to regulate boost.

I would urge you to make sure you are not mistaking this sound for your pinging or detonation or spark knock...whatever you want to call it. It sure had me going for a while after my Svenske flash and DP. Turned out to be just a rattle noise from the WG.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts