SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
new to me anyway.

I picked up a 2004 V70R black/sand in Oakland, CA today. Only 12.5k miles and 27 months old. I paid $28k even and I think I got a good deal. He was offered $26k for trade-in at two non-Volvo dealers. I almost bought a similar car in Austin, TX for $26,750. It had 25.5k miles and the seller was very cooperative with tons of photos, but it needs new tires and shipping would have been $900 to CA, so it would have cost me more in the end. And let's face it, we all love a used car with only 12k miles on it.

All the leads I looked into were Autotrader.com. Craigslist seemed useless for such a rare car. A dealer in Thousand Oaks offered a 2004 black/sand with 27k miles for $27k. Probably a good price, but I think at least 2 owners. Another car was Ti grey/blue 2004 in Pasadena. Price was $28k firm for a 04 with 30k miles, and seller seemed like a tool.

The V70R is for real enthusiasts, but I think it's clear that most people overlook it. Some owners probably like that (I do). Demand is limited. While I was searching for my car in the past 3 weeks, I did not hear of one car selling. Supply is limited too, as there are only about 25 no-story cars for sale in the US on Autotrader, and only 2 sticks that I saw. (mine's an auto.)

The car that got away was sold before I even started looking. It was a 2005 black/sand in Orange County with Nav and roof rails, 22k miles, listed for $33k. The seller told me he just got tired of sitting on it and sold it for $29.5k. That's a sweet deal to whoever got it.

I almost went for a new car, but it was just too much money. A dealer in Palo Alto offered me a silver/sand 06 for $37.5k That's $9500 off MSRP! Several others with offers under $40k. A dealer in Modesto has 4 on their lot. Volvo has to figure out how to sell this car. With all the unique bits, the extra expense to Ford for the R's must be high, and at this rate it's halo benefit has to be reconsidered.

The car will be my wife's daily driver. I drive an old Accord during the week and a 91 BMW M5 on the weekends (both sticks). We wanted to get a nicer, faster, more comfortable, efficient car to replace our 4Runner. The V70 has more room, but can't carry as much lumber. Sure is fun to drive.

The premium stereo is nice, although I'm not a hifi snob. I think the rotary present knob works great. I'm sick of fuddy-duddies and car mag writers complaining about a system that they can't figure out in a five minute drive.

The car couldn't be more different than my rough and tumble M5. more on that in a future post. adjustable suspension is very trick, but I can't tell much difference yet. I told my wife the single greatest thing on this car is the steering wheel. The shape and diameter are just perfect. It's nice eye candy too. Speaking of which, this car's wheels are pristine silver painted 17"s. Paint is healthy, but lots of wax overrun onto the plastic impact strips.

I'm looking forward to getting to know my R and all of the fellow fans here at swedespeed.

check out some photos at:
http://www.bmwmregistry.com/detail.php?id=2690
(scroll to bottom)

Eric Lee
91 M5
97 Accord
04 V70R
Monterey, CA

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Re: Brought the new R home today (E34M5)

Congrats, but it's time to get those pictures over to Swedespeed's photo board. I love the M5. Very nice picture with the mountains in the background. Welcome to Swedespeed! http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

- Tryg

·
Registered
3,344 Posts

Quote, originally posted by E34M5 »
adjustable suspension is very trick, but I can't tell much difference yet.

There is a noticeable difference between each suspension setting, which you will feel as you spend more time with the car. Advanced will rough you up on all but the smoothest roads (I love it) and Comfort is way too floaty for most of us (I usually avoid it). I find Sport to be a great compromise. Like the three bears everyone has a 4C mode they prefer, although there are some 4C-bashers who will say that no mode is "just right". Your 4C selection also changes the throttle response. Personally, I love being able to change the attitude of the car at the touch of a button.

I am curious to hear your input on the R, especially compared to the gutsy N/A M5 motor. The R is a fast car, once you master the clutch and the turbo. These cars have a similar purpose, but they work towards it in very different ways.

- Tryg

·
Registered
413 Posts

Your pics make me miss my old E34 M5.

Hope you enjoy the volvo!

I have some E34 parts I'm trying to get out of my garage, so IM me if you are interested.

Welcome!
-Ben

·
Registered
21,340 Posts
Re: Brought the new R home today (bcantana)

Welcome and congrats! You got a fair deal on the car.

I too love that the V70R blends in with traffic.... most people can't tell it from your average cross country and don't give it a second thought...until you blast away from them at the stoplight.

BTW 'round here your car would be described as Sapphire / Gobi. The blue interior is Nordkap and the nacho cheese one
is Atacama.

Plenty of info on here regarding tweaks and mods to just about everything. Search is cumbersome but useful, or just IM someone friendly.

As for the wax on your body mouldings, Mr. Clean Magic Eraser works wonders. Griot's Garage Bumper and Trim re-conditioner will also re-blacken it very well.

Good luck! http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
974 Posts
Re: Brought the new R home today (needsdecaf)

Nice M-5 I remember the very first time i saw one. I had no idea what it was and was amazed it was an M5 i thought some tool just put a badge on a 740.

Well If you happen to go skiing in Tahoe or Mnt Shasta, let me know what you think of the R. I live in Sacramento and i had a pathfinder and it was killing me on the gas so i got rid of it. I will be in korea for the next year and I plan on getting an R when i get back and it will most likely see alot of passes over Donner Summit.

·
Registered
688 Posts

Congrats on the new ride. looks really sweet. i paid $31k for an '04 mt with 18k miles and every single option (all packages, atacama, booster seats, nav), so I too think you got a fair deal.

i detailed this past weekend and a toothbrush with a little dawn dishwashing detergent gets the wax out of the rub strips very well. follow with a little mothers back-to-black or the griot's that needsdecaf mentioned.

welcome, and let us know about the comparison. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Re: Brought the new R home today (pktojd)

Beautiful pic of the M5 in the mountains. Nice garage you've got. You'll love the R.

Makes me feel pretty good about the deal I got on my '06 S60R....$31,100.

·
Super Moderator
14,845 Posts
nice ride...

im still confused why im linked to a bmw site to check out a volvo

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Re: Brought the new R home today (needsdecaf)

Quote, originally posted by needsdecaf »

That was a lease deal, though, correct?

Yes it was.

·
Super Moderator
14,845 Posts

Quote, originally posted by E34M5 »
adjustable suspension is very trick, but I can't tell much difference yet.

you will notice it very soon! if you want a real test, hit some rumble strips with the different settings

·
Registered
21,166 Posts
Re: (Copeland)

Quote, originally posted by Copeland »
Ignore Phuz, he woke up on the wrong side of the bed

Over time, you'll learn to ignore Cope as well.

Again, welcome to the board. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 15 of 15 Posts