SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I broke the 11:00 o'clock position M6 screw removing the water pump. Don't know why it was frozen in the first place, other 6 all came out easily. It was not the OEM pump so who knows?

Permatex'd that area, it leaked but down at the bottom. Took it off, Permatex'd everywhere, both sides of the gasket. No leaks (yet).

I don't trust this fix, especially since the timing belt tension will pull that part of the flange away from the block. I have 4 options, from cheapest to most expensive.

1) Right angle drill and an easy-out. I have a factory at my disposal; my plan is to take the old water pump and press a hardened steel liner into the offending hole as a drill guide so I can hit the center of the screw. Temporarily assemble it to remove the screw. Hope I can find an angle drill that fits. Cost: 1 new gasket

2) JB Weld the pump in place. Cost - 1 new gasket and a tube of JB Weld

3) Again, the factory - make a steel brace that straddles the bad hole and is held by 2 good screws, install screws that are longer than the thickness of brace (say 10mm). Put an M8 screw directly over the hole that is missing the bolt and press against that part of the water pump, compressing the gasket. I don't even need to remove the timing belt to pull that one off. Cost - 3 screws and some Loctite.

4) Send it to a garage and tell them to get the stupid screw out. Cost: your guess is as good as mine.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
7,604 Posts
Do plan 1, which will do it right. I like your idea of using the old pump as a drill guide, most people just center punch the old screw and hope for the best. If you end up tearing up the existing threads just put a helicoil in it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts