SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Already posted about this in the XC90 forum but thought I would run it by you all too. Replaced my wife’s XC90s sway bar today. The brackets no longer gripped the bar and it would slide from side to side with weight shift. Anyway slackened the front subframe bolts 4 turns per iPd instructions. Then when it came time to re-tighten, drivers front sheared off. Everything else is back together.

Should I bother using a hardware store extractor set, or is this something I should take it to shop for? And on that note can I drive it with only 3/4 subframe bolts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
501 Posts
you can drive with 3/4 bolts but your alignment will be ****ed so prepare to lose the tire on that side.

depending on where the bolt was sheared most times you can back it out by hand since there is no longer and tension on it, but requires lowering / removing the subframe to access.

most efficient solution is to lower / remove the subframe and have a welder prepared to weld a compatible nut on the threads that are left, then back the bolt out.

I went through that process and hired a welder but once I had access to the remaining threads i was blown away by the fact that i could back it out with a set of pliers. still had the nut welded on just to be safe and it came out easy.

always use fresh bolts when they are designed to stretch!

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Wow nice job getting it out. That is a big strong bolt next time don't use a big rig air gun to put it in :)

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow indeed. Had that bolt been broken for some time? It looks pretty rusty for a fresh break.

I live out in the sticks, nearest reliable Volvo mechanic is over 30 miles away. So I’ve got a ways to drive on 3/4 bolts, arg.

Maybe I’ll take one go at it with an easy out. But I’m not going to hold my breath.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dealership is quoting 3-3.5 hours to remove the bolt. At $119/hr labor I’m almost to the point where I should have had the dealership install the sway bar instead of me—any money savings nullified.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Wow nice job getting it out. That is a big strong bolt next time don't use a big rig air gun to put it in :)
thanks dude - this was actually done with a torque wrench and then angle torqued on fresh bolts, but 5k miles later I had an alignment shop have an awful time dialing the car in after each “shakedown”.

turns out the two rear bolts became loose, this was after i put in delrin bushings - and i also live on a terrible dirt road which may have contributed.

when I went to retighten (not a good idea with stretch bolts) one felt loose until it snapped.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Wow indeed. Had that bolt been broken for some time? It looks pretty rusty for a fresh break.
yeah until i committed to doing it myself I tried to drive it as little as possible and she sat in the garage.. still ****ed both tires up in the interim though.

Maybe I’ll take one go at it with an easy out. But I’m not going to hold my breath.
if you have a brace for the engine that will support it from above I highly recommend backing the subframe out a bit to see how many threads you have poking out, before you go drilling away and making a deeper hole for yourself. pun intended

1 - 12 of 12 Posts