SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

broken motor mount?

592 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  walla2 
#1 ·
I have a 1993 850 with about 60,000 miles onit.Two nights ago while driving at about 60 mph suddenly there was a recurrent clanking noise and some vibration through the steering wheel.I slowed and limped home at speeds below 30 with the clanking continuing at speeds above about ten mph.I put the car up on ramps and have now looked twice and found nothing-nothing loose nothing broken.Is it possible that the front or rear motor mount has collapsed and is causing this?The upper mount has been replaced 12-18 months ago withe IPD mount.Any isuggestions and/or advice would be appreciated.Thanks.

#3 ·
Re: broken motor mount? (walla2)

possible but not probable

#4 ·
Re: broken motor mount? (robert213)

Sounds very much like the mount under the "front" of the engine, the rubber bit seperates from the metal bit and when it goes the engine drops and sits on the chassis frame and vibrates and carries on like you said, I changed mine, it's no big deal to do only four bolts involved, took about 30 mins all up. Ozbricks has a section on how to do it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.