SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my wife comes home the other night, and informs me that the headlight was cracked. Turns out some road debris hit the driver's side light, and completely shattered it beyond repair. The passenger side has had a nasty chip for a while, but now it looks like I need to replace them both. It is a 2004 R, with the HID lights Here is where I need help.

There are only a few R HID setups available at scrap yards, and I am looking at about $400 for the pair.

1. Is it possible to use standard S60 headlights, or is there a reason I need the R?
2. For cost savings, could I downgrade to a traditional bulb setup rather than the HID?

I tried the search but didn't see anything. Thanks in advance for the help!

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
You didn't look very hard:

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?181715-.-EuroSport-Headlight-Lenses-on-SALE!

And then check out the R Headlight retrofit project thread for detailed instructions on replacing them.

EST also has retrofit lights with LED DRLs for about $400 each, but they are set up for H7 halogens, not B-xenon lights with DS2s.

So my wife comes home the other night, and informs me that the headlight was cracked. Turns out some road debris hit the driver's side light, and completely shattered it beyond repair. The passenger side has had a nasty chip for a while, but now it looks like I need to replace them both. It is a 2004 R, with the HID lights Here is where I need help.

There are only a few R HID setups available at scrap yards, and I am looking at about $400 for the pair.

1. Is it possible to use standard S60 headlights, or is there a reason I need the R?
2. For cost savings, could I downgrade to a traditional bulb setup rather than the HID?

I tried the search but didn't see anything. Thanks in advance for the help!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the link, and I looked up the thread on replacing the glass and it seems pretty straightforward.

Is there any benefit of the lenses from Eurosport vs the other glass lenses on ebay that are about $100 cheaper? ($140 shipped vs $230 shipped)

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
EST lenses are the better replacements; they're a trusting company, active supporter and good business all around.

Which eBay lens did you see?

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
The ebay lenses I have found are for the halogen S60 headlights, which are fluted in many areas where the R headlights are clear. Avoid these.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds good, I am placing my order with them now. It will be a fun day when they arrive. I have to replace the glass, install a new washer fluid pump, and fix one of the bumper clips.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Sounds good, I am placing my order with them now. It will be a fun day when they arrive. I have to replace the glass, install a new washer fluid pump, and fix one of the bumper clips.
...And if you are really feeling venturesome, you could do a projector light retrofit at the same time!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just wanted to post a quick recap. EST had the new lenses to me very quickly and they were packaged extremely well. I was able to swap them without issue, and they fit perfectly. After securing them I ran a bead of silicone around the edges just to ensure no water ever gets in. They look great and I am glad I went with them. Thanks again for the advice everyone!

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Glad it worked out!!

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
400 for the pair is reasonable in my book for our headlights unless they are suddenly very inexpensive.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts