SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Attempted to replace the rear oxygen today on my 2.5T XC90, which I succeeded removing but haven't installed it back again.

I had to lower down the cat to get better access to apply force to remove the oxygen sensor. While removing the cat from the rear exhaust end, one of the stud broke as I was loosening the 13mm nut.

This is the junction I'm referring to.

This is the broken stud. I haven't tried banging on that stud but looks like it is a one piece hardware welded on the rear exhaust flange. VADIS does not show a part # for it.

What are my options? Should I try removing that stud? Hate to imaging I have to replace the rear exhaust because of this :eek:

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Excellent. So that stud wasn't welded to the flange? It's a flush fit? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Its not welded. They are just pressed in. The age of the metal though makes it solid. you can pound it, if you get a drill in there, you can drill it out. You may be able to make a makeshift press with a c-clamp and a socket to press the stud out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Did the same on mine when installing the quad exhaust. Took to local muffler shop they fixed for 30 bucks.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not my lucky day. Pounded till the stub deformed but it didn't budge. Tried chiseling the head out from the other end, no luck either. Tried but can't jig up a c-clamp with a socket in that space.

TVblab, looks like a trip to my local exhaust shop is needed, and I have to drive it with the exhaust secured with one bolt only. What did your guy at the muffler shop did? Should I get a new gasket? The old looks fine as far as I can tell.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did you try heating the flange up?
Did not have access to heat.

Job done. Took the XC90 to the exhaust shop. Reused old gasket as a new gasket needs to be ordered and not in stock. The shop managed to get the broken bolt out. Both bolts replaced for good measure. Searching the web, the volvo bolts used are spline bolts

For 10 dollars equivalent couldn't be happier.

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Glad to hear it worked out. We reused same gasket after I applied some exhaust sealant.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Hmm. My 13' seems to have lost one stud but I didn't notice until a few days when my son pulled into the garage, then I found this... Looks like someone had tried to loosen the nut.
Sounds interesting though...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts