SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My wife's 2012 T6-RD has developed a noticeable exhaust tick on cold starts which clears up in less than 10 seconds. I went to examine it and decided there is too much involved for the amount of time I could dedicate to it, so I had a trusted local Volvo shop look at it. Book time was quoted as 8 hours (which is still nuts!!) to replace the exhaust manifold gasket. As it turns out, two exhaust manifold studs on the driver side had broken off, so it makes it even more of a fun job. The tech even said he had no idea where that book time came from because 8 hours is no where near enough for this car, and I agree having had it up on the lift myself. It is too compact and everything is hidden. At the tech's recommendation, I've asked the dealer to provide an actual quote for doing this job to see where they land on it, so I could have a firm number to hang on to. But, seeing as this is a nuisance at best, I am not committed to possibly sinking a couple thousand into quieting a harmless exhaust tick that only lasts a few seconds.

Anyone else run into this on the inline six? My wife doesn't drive hard at all, and it only has 125k miles on it. Even my R (185k miles) never went through this.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I'm afraid that tech may be disappointed getting VSTG labor times from the dealer for that job.

If I were to do that job, I might drop the subframe and remove the angle gear to have better access. I think angle gear R&R pays less than 4 hours, so that leaves 4 hours to remove the exhaust manifold and deal with the exhaust manifold studs - which is extraordinarily generous in my experience.

·
Super Moderator
14,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm afraid that tech may be disappointed getting VSTG labor times from the dealer for that job.

If I were to do that job, I might drop the subframe and remove the angle gear to have better access. I think angle gear R&R pays less than 4 hours, so that leaves 4 hours to remove the exhaust manifold and deal with the exhaust manifold studs - which is extraordinarily generous in my experience.
Are you speaking from experience on the T6 model? Dealer said 8.4 hours plus parts.

·
Registered
5,554 Posts
Book time is 6.9 hours in AllData.

Warranty time is 4.4 hours.

If a time isn't availabile in a time guide like AllData, most dealers use a multiplier for the warranty time. That could vary from 1.5 to 2.0 I would suspect.

I've done it and I did it from below. Really wasn't too bad. Subframe stays in.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts