SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I found a reason I've been getting a CEL for low catalyst efficiency. I played around and found that the flex pipe is completely severed from the rest of the exhaust back.

Any advice on the best way to repair this? Can a new flex pipe be welded in? This piece must move around a lot, so I doubt any type of tape or adhesive would last.

It seems that this piece comes as a high premium if you buy it with the catalytic converter... So, I'd like to avoid that.

Thanks!

·
Registered
8,737 Posts
Any reputable muffler shop can fix that.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any reputable muffler shop can fix that.

Thanks for the reply!

Just curious - do you have an idea how they would go about fixing it?

Re-weld the broken section? Install a new piece?

·
Registered
8,737 Posts
Cut it out and install new.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Would this be able to help in meantime..? Idk i know we've used the heat tape that after applied will harden... Had to use wire cutters to remove lol...

*unofficial volvo durability tester*

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Thanks for the reply!

Just curious - do you have an idea how they would go about fixing it?

Re-weld the broken section? Install a new piece?
Make sure they dont try to save on quality of replacement flex, make sure its rated for turbo cars. I had one replaced and lasted 4 months before I needed it replaced with better quality one.
And yes, they will cut & weld new one in, probably using some collars/muffs etc.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Make sure they dont try to save on quality of replacement flex, make sure its rated for turbo cars. I had one replaced and lasted 4 months before I needed it replaced with better quality one.
And yes, they will cut & weld new one in, probably using some collars/muffs etc.
Sadly, I don't have a turbo

I'm going to bring it somewhere and see what they say. It seems like a pain to get to a DIY.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Yeah, that's not going to work.

I recommend to replace with a stainless part so it is of comparable quality to the rest of the system. Especially if you live in a place that uses road salt. The cheap ones can rot away right quickly.

To fix it, you cut it out and weld in a new one. Like this:

Old and Busted:

Fixing:

New Hotness. Ta-Da:

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Is it necessary to take off the exhaust manifold with it? The flange above the flex pipe appears to be secured with some screws attached to the exhaust manifold downward pipe's flange.

Also, any recommendations on a quality brand? Should it be braided on the inside and outside?

·
Registered
437 Posts
On a T5 AWD, yes I think the downpipe really has to come off. Or the transfer case comes out, pick your poison. On the 2.4i, I'm not sure. From your pictures it looks like maybe it can be done in place. Just depends if there's room to sawz-all it out of there and access to weld 360 degrees around on both ends.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts