SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a knocking from my transmission for at least a year and a half now which I'm pretty sure is the DM flywheel. The dealership thinks it is as well. I've also got the 1-2 clunk.

So is there any danger in driving on the bad DM flywheel for a while? The clutch seems mostly fine and I'd rather wait till it's about to go to replace the flywheel. I'm not risking my transmission or anything, right?

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
If it were to jerk and make the clutch itself explode I would think something would/could possibly go terribly wrong.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Don't worry about it, your clutch should go before the DM will and when it does grab a nice new Viva SM.

My car has the same clunk as yours at various speeds...which I also think is the flywheel. I compensate by revving a little more in 1st (3-3.5K) before shifting which seems to be a bit smoother...also the smaller of the two trans mount bushings used gets busted which makes shifting a little less crisp (sad face).

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
I've had a knocking from my transmission for at least a year and a half now which I'm pretty sure is the DM flywheel. The dealership thinks it is as well. I've also got the 1-2 clunk.

So is there any danger in driving on the bad DM flywheel for a while? The clutch seems mostly fine and I'd rather wait till it's about to go to replace the flywheel. I'm not risking my transmission or anything, right?
An out of balance DM flywheel will be very hard on the synchros, so you could be looking at a full transmission replacement if you leave it too long.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Don't worry about it? Anything out of balance in a drive train not an ok thing.

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
I got a dual mass flywheel that came out of my R with under 50k on it if your interested.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Could you post a video or sound clip, I might have the same issue with a new clutch...or I still dont know how to shift..

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Videos of the tapping DM flywheel. Don't have any videos of the 1-2 clunking yet.

·
Registered
8,740 Posts
my last car with a DM flywheel made that sound and it was just throw out bearing chatter. It would go away when you depressed the clutch.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts