SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Replaced all springs with factory OEM and shocks with Monroe 4C about 2 years ago along with heavy duty upper coil spring insulators.
One of the front springs broke about 6 inches from the end of the bottom coil end.
When I got into the car this morning the spring was dragging against the rim.

Was this because of a poor quality spring or could have something else in the suspension caused the spring to snap?

·
Registered
6,570 Posts
I've had this happen several times on my mom's 2006 XC70. It sucks. Never have had it happen to the R. It's quality... nothing in the suspension could cause that.

·
3,899 Posts
+1

My Xc70 (01) rear right spring broke in half when doing the suspension about 10 years later. It rusted it out and eventually failed. I've never seen this happen on an R though.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Some break due to temper issues or metallurgy errors, the quality failures. If the spring rusts then the reduction is cross-section causes localized stress and they break at the rust spot.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Mechanical items fail.

I suspect on vehicles that have a habit of braking the top or bottom coil off, the spring seat is not perfectly designed and it will tend to make a stress riser, where the spring will bend slightly instead of just twisting itself.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Took it apart today.
Surface rust on spring right where it snapped. Since the spring is only about 2 years old I do not think the surface rust caused it but was likely do to a metallurgical problem.
The spring seat and upper bearing were in good condition but will be replaced..
Spring end cut my winter tire and ruined it. Lucky it happened in my driveway and not on the road.
FCP Euro promised 1 day shipping so parts are ordered.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Mechanical items fail.

I suspect on vehicles that have a habit of braking the top or bottom coil off, the spring seat is not perfectly designed and it will tend to make a stress riser, where the spring will bend slightly instead of just twisting itself.
I finished the job and looked closely at the spring. It broke at the point where the spring first makes contact with the seat. I think you were right- the lower seat on the shock was not properly designed. The shock was a Monroe replacement.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts