SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A beam that runs under the cats was somehow damaged on my car, most likely during a visit to a volvo shop and the car made a resonance noise under load as a result of this. The shop put it on the lift, used a sliding hammer tool thingy to straighten it out a bit and thus resolved the noise.

They offered to replace the beam if I wanted them to. The tech didn't know what the purpose of this beam was, if it had a structural role or if it's only there to protect the cats.

Does anyone know what it does and if I should have it replaced? It connects to the big triangular mounts underneath the car, where the rear mount on the front control arm attaches which leads me to believe it may somehow be structural or affect tracking or something...?

Pics of how it's supposed to look and how it looked on my car before being straightened. It's still bit wonky looking but doesn't make the noise.

Registered
It's pretty obvious someone used this crossbeam as a lift-point to jack up the car, bending it upward. The bend deflection looks to be about 4 cm.

Structurally, it appears to be a crossbeam acting as a stabilizer, and also as protection for the cats.

If you're worried about shortening of the beam due to the deflection, I calculated it using Pythagoras Theorem, and it comes out to 0.7 mm. That's an insignficant amount -- the thickness of a sewing needle -- I wouldn't worry about it.

Your story does raise awareness about what lift points are safe to use for jacking up the car. Volvo could solve this by painting all the lift points on the frame in a different color.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts