SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went to change the cabin filter on my wifes S40 T5 for the first time yesterday only to find that one of the studs holding the accelerator pedal on spins when turning the nut. Its the top right stud and the hardest to reach too of course. So I couldn't get the pedal off and wasn't able to change the cabin filter.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any ideas?

·
Registered
9,114 Posts
It's from previous cabin filter replacements and people reusing the original hardware which are ovaled locking nuts. Volvo came out with a bulletin to NOT reuse the hardware and to install new standard nuts so that this doesn't happen. People were over tightening the locking hardware and the stud isn't strong enough to hold when removing.

You will need to pry the stud to hold it while removing the nut. Once that's off you will need to replace the pedal assembly plate. It comes with new studs. Its about $140 if I remember. Had to do a handful of them back in the day.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. Maybe I'll give it another shot next weekend. This $15 cabin filter job is starting to get expensive.

·
Registered
9,114 Posts
Unfortunately it generally comes down to prior service, could have been messed up from past replacements and finally just gave out on ya. The job overall isn't too bad once you get everything out of the way. Hardest part will be removing that nut with the stud spinning.

Be sure to get some replacement nuts for the install though, I don't encourage anyone to reuse the factory hardware.

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
+1, Factory originals are tight. I ordered new nuts from Volvo & they go on much easier just as FF said.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I actually bought non lock nuts before I started the job and got two of the original ones off. I'll have to order the new pedal assembly plate and try to get the old one off. Where's the best place to order the pedal assembly?

·
Registered
9,114 Posts
Any of the online Volvo parts websites should have it. Lots seem to like Swedish parts but I know quite a few use Boston as well.

·
Registered
169 Posts
You may consider me lazy. The cars I have owned previously with an interior air filter never seemed dirty when changed. I did not change the the interior air filter on my s40 until it was at 125,000 miles. It did not look that dirty , when held up to light you could see through it. No doubt in my mind that it would have been fine without being changed. The only reason I even looked at it was an AC problem over this hot summer. The compessor clutch needed shimed. If it was me I wouldn't even bother if everthing is ok.
My s40 has seen alot of miles on dusty dirt roads also.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah I was kinda thinking that. Its my wifes car and she's never complained about any air problems. The car has about 120,000 on it too.

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
Just as a counter argument I bought mine with 110,000. Filter had obviously been changed before since there were several fasteners missing & it turned out to be an aftermarket insert. When I pulled it out it was disgusting. So clogged I had to take a shop vac to the housing to get the loose bits out. That said, I've settled on 30,000 as an interval on cabin filters. Any more often seems like overkill.

·
Registered
936 Posts
wow! get the pedal off for a cabin filter!!!!

on my tacoma it takes 1 minute including unpackagng the new one!!!

------
Excuse all the typos.. Sent from mobile device.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Just for the info, I never bothered putting back the third (hard to get) nut back when i did my filter. Its been fine so far.

·
Registered
837 Posts
just my two cents. I also nver put back the third nut. My filter had more than a handful of leaves in it. I had to break out the vacuum and vacuum out the housing it was so packed with leaves. I also turned on the air for sec and everything blew out the bay. my filter was so bad dirt litterally poured out of it. that was after 90k miles in denver.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah I was kind of thinking of leaving the third one off too since the pedal is fine now and that third stud is loose already. It's good to hear others have left it off and don't have any problems. Thanks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts