SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Christmas Day I guess I pulled two times too fast/hard and now my interior door handle for the drivers side doesn't work. It's still connected and on the door but something inside the door is broken and preventing the handle from being pulled.

Would this be an easy fix or should I let the dealer deal with it?

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
get the tools to remove the door panel from a place like harbor freight, search the web for how to fix this. It is basically the same procedure for every car. pay attention to what has to be done regarding the airbag in the door (if there is one like on my old BMW).

Wait for a not freezing day, and swap the part. the best price on the part is from a Volvo dealer like Tasca.

You may want to take everything apart on a nice day and confirm a piece of plastic on the handle is what broke, and it is actually broken, not just disconnected. Then put it together, and order the part.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
No airbag in the door. The SIPS bag is located inside of the front seats.

Remove the door card (clips around the edges, two torx screws behind the plastic cover at the interior handle, then lift the entire thing up and disconnect wires and stuff behind it if you need to get better access) and see if there's anything obviously broken. The fact that it can be opened from the outside sounds like a good sign, meaning that it might be something like the wire between the handle and lock that broke (plastic parts at some places, could've snapped).

·
Registered
11,927 Posts
No airbag in the door. The SIPS bag is located inside of the front seats.

Remove the door card (clips around the edges, two torx screws behind the plastic cover at the interior handle, then lift the entire thing up and disconnect wires and stuff behind it if you need to get better access) and see if there's anything obviously broken. The fact that it can be opened from the outside sounds like a good sign, meaning that it might be something like the wire between the handle and lock that broke (plastic parts at some places, could've snapped).
THIS!

Removing the door is easy once you have done it a couple times. There are no exposed clips around the edges though, you just need a plastic pry bar to pry the plastic panel away from the metal door frame (along the bottom and both sides - not the top. It can take quite a bit of force!

Having two people will make it easier to remove - trying to hold the detached panel while unplugging the harnesses can be a bit awkward - you want to avoid letting the panel "hang" from the wires!

Once you see the mechanism for the interior handle connecting to the cable to the latch it should be obvious what broke (or fell off, if you're really lucky).

Don't try to "fix" a broken handle/cable/latch part with tape or whatever, order proper replacements from Volvo.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Warpedcow: Clips or what-ever. not sure if they have a more specific name. They break easily though and if they do you'll end up with a door card that rattles. It also makes the door harder to close because the door card will absorb the impact at closing by flapping making it harder to close sometimes (sounds weird but I managed to fix it temporarily once and it did do wonders for the door... closure... feel... err, yeah...) Also, I think the cable is available as a separate spare part. Which is good because I could imagine that the plastic connector at the interior handle end could've snapped and jammed something. Not sure but it would certainly be the easiest. If it's at the exterior handle side the entire handle console (called console by volvo) might need to be replaced and in which case it could require ordering a new one as the driver door has the lock cylinder in it. Any other door would've been fine with a salvage yard replacement part.

Tommm: So the actuator is the latch on the door that locks onto the pin on the car side of the lock, so to speak? I don't think that's the case here because if it was, the door wouldn't open from the outside either. It opens from the outside but not the inside so likely something interior handle related.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Tommm: So the actuator is the latch on the door that locks onto the pin on the car side of the lock, so to speak? I don't think that's the case here because if it was, the door wouldn't open from the outside either. It opens from the outside but not the inside so likely something interior handle related.
I posted the link so the OP sees how to take off the door panel. He/she wasn't sure it was a DIY job.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts