SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2009 C70 headlamps just do not compare to the lamps on my newer cars. I would like to replace the bulbs with a brighter and whiter light. Any suggested brand/part# for a simple bulb swap?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,591 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
I did this to my 05 s60, and is a realistic difference,had eBay find for 13$ a pair of Phillips,took 5 min,used dremel with diamond bit

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
can get philips h9s for $9-11/ea either amazon or walmart.com
best lighting/safety mod you can do for our cars

·
Registered
198 Posts
I installed H11( which is the official and therefore only 100% fitting size) Osram Nightbreaker Unlimited on mine. They are way brighter than the LongLife variants and on the 2000 C70 I had before, I went three years on those (H7 NB Plus to be exact) and then sold the car with still working bulbs.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Good info...Any thoughts on swapping the stock halogen lamps from our '13 ? I'm fairly pleased with the current performance(not sure what the originals are); but an upgrade wouldn't hurt. Now that I've started typing this, the gods will likely knock out one of the headlamps in short order :)

Olstyle's approach seems the easiest and can be found for under $30 for a pair. Sounds almost too good to be true ;)

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
i didn't try the osram nightbreakers but did try the silverstars. marginal improvement in my book from stock, especially compared the the h9 conversions which was actually cheaper.

the h9's take a few minutes with an exacto knife to remove 1 tab so they fit in the h11 socket but well worth the effort in my opinion. once you get used to improved vision in night driving, it's hard to go back.

lumens wise, you'll get approximately 1800-2200lm for H9 vs 1100-1400lm for H11.

·
Registered
649 Posts
In perusing this thread I noted that my 2011 owners manual specifies different size bulbs than what is shown above. With the halogen lights, my manual says low beam = H7, 55W; and high beam = H9, 65W. For the active bending lights xenon HIDs, my manual says high beam = H7, 55W (no bulb is specified for the xenon low beam lamp, though I understand it is a D2S)

I am tempted to upgrade the high beam H7 bulbs to something with more lumens, and am looking at the Philips H7 Vision Upgrade. I'm also thinking about upgrading the reverse lights (P21W, also known as 7506 or 1156) to the higher wattage 796 bulb, as I could use more light backing into the driveway. Has anyone with a post-facelift xenon HID model done this upgrade? Any advice would be appreciated.

Here are the relevant pages from my 2011 owners manual:

·
Registered
198 Posts
The 2011 manual is wrong on the halogen low beams. I bought H7 because of it and then opened the Headlights to find H11 lamps. I'm pretty sure all facelift models are actually H11.
For the same reason I'd urge you to look in a 2012 or 2013 manual to see what that one says about the high beams in combination with xenon.

·
Registered
649 Posts
The 2011 manual is wrong on the halogen low beams. I bought H7 because of it and then opened the Headlights to find H11 lamps. I'm pretty sure all facelift models are actually H11.
For the same reason I'd urge you to look in a 2012 or 2013 manual to see what that one says about the high beams in combination with xenon.
olstyle - thanks for the tip. I checked the 2012 and 2013 owners manuals and you are correct that the bulb specification for models with halogen headlights is H11 55W. The 2012 and '13 manuals still specify the H7 55W for the high beam with the xenon ABLs. When I get a chance I will pull out the high beam bulb and see what it is.

This is not the first time I have found errors in this manual (the excerpt above reflects my edit correcting the wattage for the H8 bulb for the fog lights, and I have found other errors). I also note that the 2012/13 manuals specify a H6 (6W) bulb for the reverse lights, not the P21 indicated in the 2011 manual. I'm pretty sure the taillight assembly and lamps are exactly the same between 2011 and 2012/13. I guess the lesson here is to make sure to pull the bulb out before buying a replacement.

FYI, here's an excerpt from the 2012 manual:

·
Registered
649 Posts
I thought the tail lights were led bulbs, no?
Yes, except for the reverse lights, the rear fog light and the turn signals, which are all halogens.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Glad I am not the only one who noticed the H11 thing, I was looking to do a full xenon upgrade (reflectors and all), but I wanted plug and play electrical. The European company I was talking with about this kept trying to tell me I do not have H11 bulbs in my 2009, until I took a picture of the back of the headlight and sent it to him. Unfortunately I never did wrangle up the cash for the upgrade.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts