SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've done some searching but can't seem to find much on this. When I start the car (2015 V60CC T5), I get a brief knocking noise or rattle noise (like 1 second maybe) right after starting the engine or right after shutting it off. I can only hear the noise when I am inside the cabin and it sounds like its coming from the passenger side area. I do not hear anything from the engine bay when I have someone start the car, but they can hear it inside.

I originally was thinking engine mount, maybe upper torque rod, but the fact that I can't hear it in the engine bay makes me dubious. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
blower fan?
Hadn’t thought of that. Would that be associated with starting and stopping the engine? There is no knock when driving or idling. Just very briefly after starting or turning it off.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Upper Engine Torque Mount. Small bushing goes bad and knocks on startup. Sometimes the front bushing looks fine. If the front bushing is trashed, I would look at the engine mount under it to make sure its not leaking fluid.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Hadn’t thought of that. Would that be associated with starting and stopping the engine? There is no knock when driving or idling. Just very briefly after starting or turning it off.[/QUOTE
]
it was just a thought,that the blower fan starts up after starting the car and stops when shutting the car off......not sure if the fan starts up after starting.....you said you can't hear it in the engine compartment......
just a thought....

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Upper Engine Torque Mount. Small bushing goes bad and knocks on startup. Sometimes the front bushing looks fine. If the front bushing is trashed, I would look at the engine mount under it to make sure its not leaking fluid.
Ok, interesting. Glad to hear this is a common one on this car. That is also the easiest mount to replace it appears, so I’ll do it regardless since it did show a few signs of wear when I took it off to do the timing belt.

it was just a thought,that the blower fan starts up after starting the car and stops when shutting the car off......not sure if the fan starts up after starting.....you said you can't hear it in the engine compartment......
just a thought....
easy enough to test...turn the fan off, then on...probably is the mount
Yeah definitely something to check out. Thanks for the suggestion!

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tested the blower fan, noise persists regardless.

So I ordered a new torque rod mount from Tasca. Was hoping I could do FCP Euro (I like their lifetime policy!), but Tasca has the OEM part for only $75. Ipd has some aftermarket options for a bit less and then their performance part too for $180. I wanted to upgrade to that since it looks a lot beefier, but couldn’t justify $100 over the Volvo part.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok installed the new torque mount today and it’s a lot better now! Also installed new rear shocks, talk about an easy process. Rattled and squeaks are basically gone now!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts