SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving home tonight and while I was on an on-ramp to the freeway the car completely shut down for a couple of seconds. No headlights, no dash lights, no radio, etc.. I'm actually not sure if the engine died because I was going downhill somewhat and since there were no dash lights I couldn't see the tach. It came back on as quickly as it shut down and the car drove fine all the way home. When it came back the CD player cycled through all the discs as it does when I reconnect the battery after being disconnected. It seems there was a complete electrical shutdown as if the battery was disconnected but I don't know what could have caused it. One other odd behavior is that the engine didn't shut off when I turned the ignition to '0' and I had to remove the key to kill the engine. Started right back up with no problem. Used DICE/VIDA and didn't get any codes that I didn't already have (unrelated clutch position sensor codes.)

I've found many threads on here about CEM problems but those seem to have involved strange dash lights and other symptoms I don't have so I'm not sure where to look. I replaced the starter about three weeks ago but it has been operating great since then. I removed the battery last week to get a look at the clutch master cylinder and I'm wondering if I disturbed something with the battery cables. What would happen if either of the battery connections effectively became disconnected while driving? (Not that it would literally happen.)

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Sounds like your connections all day, i would clean and tighten them for safe but i have had that happen to me twice while traveling the urgent service message came on until i could pull over and start right back up.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I'm not sure if this is the same issue I'm having. By "it came back on as quickly as it went off", do you mean it was just a momentary blip of power outage, or was it a few seconds and then it all came back on.

For me, I have noticed that I get a momentary blip where the stereo and lights go out. Maybe one second or less. Normally after hitting a bump or taking off quickly.

I believe for me, it is the crappy wiring in the headlights momentarily shorting out as it seems to only occur when the lights are on. I plan to redo the wiring in my headlights in the next week or two. I bought two 10 foot rolls of shrink wrap and plan to re-cover all the wires in shrink wrap (which I saw in a youtube video).

But I don't know how it could short out without blowing a fuse or something, so who knows. At least I will have some piece of mind knowing that I don't have bare wires bouncing around in the headlights waiting to make contact.

Edit: The more I think about it, the more I think it is likely a bad ground/connection somewhere. A true short in the wires should lead to blown fuses and/or burned up wires. But it seems odd I've only noticed it when the lights were on.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It was a second or two, more than just a blip. I removed the cables from the battery terminals, cleaned up everything, and made sure they were seated firmly and the bolt tight when I reconnected them. Hopefully that will do the trick.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts