SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brembo is a solid name when it comes to braking, but how are their non-performance replacement rotors?

09.9468.11 for 300mm front
08.9975.11 for rear

Pricing is competitive at $40-$50 per disc. They also have crossdrilled rotors at about double the price.

Curious how they hold up to warping and heat.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I see no point in drilled/slotted...
In 2018 I got (320 mm): 09.C542.21, 08.9975.11, P 24 057, P 24 148 and have nothing to complain about. Though, I usually try to brake as little as possible :)

·
Registered
2005 s40 2.4i
65 Posts
There's some brake brands that you shouldn't have any problems with: ATE, Zimmermann, Bosch, Brembo.
Maybe there are others, but I usually trust these brands with my eyes closed.

Stay away from cheap rotors and pads from ebay or amazon. In the long run, they are not worth the money.

Also I would stay away form "performance" brands unless you are really using your car in the track or similar.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Installed Brembo "plain" 320mm discs with ATE ceramic pads, great combo and was very happy with it (not so much now as replaced pads on old discs and have juddering when braking from high speeds but I dont blame the material in this case).
Would stay away from drilled/slotted for non-performance cars as it simply makes no sense and only makes more noise/wear out of pads.

·
Registered
899 Posts
I'm running Brembo solid discs in the rear with Bosch QuietCast pads. What can I say? They're brakes, they stop the car ¯\(ツ)/¯ nothing special about them, which is the point at that price range.

Automotive tire Rim Door Gas Automotive design

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all! I went ahead and ordered Brembo non-drilled/slotted rotors for all 4 corners, came out to about $175 total.

Now I need to research pads. All I know is I want ceramic for low-dust and noise. Leaning towards Akebono or Brembo again.

I'm running Brembo solid discs in the rear with Bosch QuietCast pads. What can I say? They're brakes, they stop the car ¯\(ツ)/¯ nothing special about them, which is the point at that price range.
Got any photos of the front rotors?

·
Registered
899 Posts
Got any photos of the front rotors?
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Locking hubs Tread

None that you'd be interested in, I have Bosch rotors up front :p I got 'em cheap, same reason I'm running the plane Jane Brembos in the back.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
I've used Brembo and Zimmerman flat rotors and never had an issue with them. I tend to like the Zimmerman zinc coated because they stay nicer looking longer. Otherwise, I use some high temp paint on the center and edge of the rotors (kind of a pain).

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Thanks all! I went ahead and ordered Brembo non-drilled/slotted rotors for all 4 corners, came out to about $175 total.

Now I need to research pads. All I know is I want ceramic for low-dust and noise. Leaning towards Akebono or Brembo again.
I strongly recommend ATE ceramic. Zero braking dust, zero squealing. ever! Did 55K miles on them and there was still some material spare for another 5k, and I am a pretty spirited driver.
ATE ceramic 13047072042 (but thats for 320mm rotors)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I strongly recommend ATE ceramic. Zero braking dust, zero squealing. ever! Did 55K miles on them and there was still some material spare for another 5k, and I am a pretty spirited driver.
ATE ceramic 13047072042 (but thats for 320mm rotors)
I ended up getting Brembo ceramic pads. The car has ATE pads on it now and I wanted to try something different. Figured Brembo rotors with Brembo pads would be a solid choice.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
I ended up getting Brembo ceramic pads. The car has ATE pads on it now and I wanted to try something different. Figured Brembo rotors with Brembo pads would be a solid choice.
I have brembo ceramics on the fronts, and they are dusty AF in a week - but they don't have any warmup period and brake the same whether hot or cold. I have Powerstop Carbon Ceramics on the back and there is practically no dust - takes months.
That being said, The backs are 2/3 worn down and the fronts are less than 1/4-1/3 worn down.

I have done quite a few hard stops and with the drilled/slotted I haven't experienced any severe brake fade doing several 80-20 slows on an average trip home, daily - so the pads keep up nicely.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts