SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I bought these things used from Kpax about a year ago and never got around to installing them until last night. When I called to get the price of new rotors and rotor hardware kit I about fell over so I opted to replace pads and do so with a pad that was quite rotor Friendly. So went with Carbotech Street Pads.

Install:
Pretty easy, Driver side Caliper wasn't centered on the rotor for some odd reason and on the test drive it rubbed the rotor. I had to make a 1mm steal spacer to center it (common with aftermarket brake kits, Highly odd since this came off a car).

The Weight difference between this setup and the Factory parts was staggering.
Stock Rotor = 25lbs
Brembo Rotor = 16lbs
Stock Caliper = 18.6lbs
Brembo Caliper = 7.8lbs

Yep that's 19.8lbs less PER WHEEL. That's like removing a wheel. On the first test drive I was listening to hear if I could hear the floating rotor making the clack clack noise you commonly hear with 2 peice floating rotors and I couldn't. HOWEVER there is a noticeable drivetrain noise when accelerating (mid or hard). The noise sound exactly like that of a light weight flywheel installed in a car that had a dual mass. Had the car had exhaust You'd never hear it. Being a luxury car that is otherwise silent to drive it's noticeable and driving me mad.

Braking performance: I picked the wrong pads. The overwhelm the tires and activate the ABS virtually instantly. Even under just moderate braking you feel the front trying to lock long before the rears and braking performance actually feels slightly reduced. The pedal feel is insanely good compared to the stock brakes and under normal driving they "FEEL" better. But under hard braking they have a small hum and kick the abs very quickly (pad selection). They do make quite a bit more noise. Honestly it sounds like wind noise but combined with the extra drivetrain noise that I can only assume is due to the weight reduction. If I had an exhaust I'd never hear it. They look extra cool though. More details as I bed in the pads and drive them a bit more...
I installed the rotors the way they were listed in the box left to right. I have a feeling they might be backwards. Going to swap em and see if the sound changes.

·
Registered
96 Posts
They look great! And that savings in un-sprung weight is awesome--you will definitely feel that on the road--and track :).

·
Registered
57 Posts
I see that you're rocking the polestar rims. Are those the 20's or 19's? What is the smallest wheel that would fit around those brakes?

·
Registered
369 Posts
I think 19" would be the smallest you could fit. My 19's cleared the Polestar brakes, offset is key as well.

·
Registered
565 Posts
The bigger dia rotor also fills the wheel out nicely. I laugh when I see BIG rims with tea cup sized rotors! (You know who I mean;))

That is an insane weight reduction.

Lot of wheels weight. Guess that what it takes for all these larger dia wheels now-a-days.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Actually, what are those rims? Similar to polestar but not identical.
No, they have black center caps. Buddy of mine wrapped the car to look like a aussie V8 for nationals and made the p* center caps while he had the car.

·
Registered
2004 S60R 6M - 2006 V70R 6M - 2014 XC60 R-Design OSD - 2015.5 XC70 T6 Platinum
1,776 Posts
I see that you're rocking the polestar rims. Are those the 20's or 19's? What is the smallest wheel that would fit around those brakes?
The rims are Advanti Racing HY Hybris 19x8.5 with 45mm offset.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
80 pound savings on brakes is incredible.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Nice, I saw these on sale on ebay, it was tempting along with the kpax spoiler!

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Updated, drove it 500 miles this weekend and the pads are now beded in. Brake feel is awesome. You dont realize how squishy the oe pedal is because you get use to it. Now the pedal is firm and easy to modulate to keep out of abs. As the pads beded in it transformed the kit. Still get a fair amount of gear whine which you only hear if your listening for it. I can't explain why it suddently has gear whine from changing brakes. Only thing i can think is due to the weight reduction. Love em now.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Glad they are working out for you, and thanks for sharing your experience.

Wanted to ask you a brake question since you brought up the "squishy" oe pedal feel.. Our '15 V60 RD has always had firmer brakes than our '15 S60 RD. The S60's squish factor was to the point where I thought there may be some air in the line.. very soft until things warm up a bit a few miles down the road. They never really get to the firmness of the V60's. It doesn't sound right that the S60 brakes would gain noticeable firmness as they (fluid) warm? I was going to mention something to the service guys until I drove an S60 loaner and that had the softer brake feel also. What gives? Is it just a mfg tolerance thing or could it be an air in the line issue? Keep in mind, these two cars are basically the same except for the wagon vs. sedan aspect.

Thanks!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Possibly a high 12s in quarter mile after ~80lbs weight reduction? :)

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Its 40lbs... only front brakes, but I have to run larger wheels for the bigger brakes.

·
Registered
505 Posts
So is this correct to say that those of us with 18" Ixions need not bother salivating over the much improved pedal response? Makes me sad, if true.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So is this correct to say that those of us with 18" Ixions need not bother salivating over the much improved pedal response? Makes me sad, if true.
I'll jack the car up and see what it would take to get the stock wheels to clear this weekend. I think with enough spacer anything is possible. I'd also like to see if my Autox moda 18's will clear the brakes so I can bed them in properly on sebring in may. Not doing laps on my Prius tires again.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I'll jack the car up and see what it would take to get the stock wheels to clear this weekend. I think with enough spacer anything is possible. I'd also like to see if my Autox moda 18's will clear the brakes so I can bed them in properly on sebring in may. Not doing laps on my Prius tires again.
Thanks! :beers:

·
Registered
4,636 Posts
Maybe these Brembo's ($2000) will work for people with 18" wheels:
http://www.vivaperformance.com/brembo-gt-big-brake-kit-front-s40-v50-c30-c70/

*VIVA has them listed under the newer S60/V60 section even though they say they are for the S40/C30/V50/C70

Then there is the GT Brembo kit ($3200) that says it fits with 18" wheels as well, but these are much larger rotors than the other Brembo Kit:
http://www.vivaperformance.com/brembo-gt-big-brake-kit-front-s60-v60/

·
Registered
505 Posts
Maybe these Brembo's ($2000) will work for people with 18" wheels:
http://www.vivaperformance.com/brembo-gt-big-brake-kit-front-s40-v50-c30-c70/

*VIVA has them listed under the newer S60/V60 section even though they say they are for the S40/C30/V50/C70

Then there is the GT Brembo kit ($3200) that says it fits with 18" wheels as well, but these are much larger rotors than the other Brembo Kit:
http://www.vivaperformance.com/brembo-gt-big-brake-kit-front-s60-v60/
Very interesting. The GT kit looks like what's available from tirerack for '14 RD, no comments about fitment limitations from tirerack, so that's probably a good sign. Hard to say from the pictures, but looks very-very similar to the pictures in this thread. http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brem...=2014&autoModClar=VIN+Ending+175000+or+Higher

1 - 20 of 26 Posts