SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been mentioned in a couple of other posts that Brembo is supposed to have a big brake kit available for 2011+ S60's. It's listed on the Brembo site and on Tirerack as well as a couple other places. The Brembo site also lists some clearance dimensions for the kit. I have a set of rims that just arrived so I took some quick measurements and was surprised to find no where near the required clearance. The new rims are the same size (18") and offset as stock. Then I took one of the stock wheels off and measured it - it has even less clearance than the new rim. :?

I've fired off an email to Brembo and Tirerack to see what gives. In the meantime If anyone's thinking of getting this kit, be warned. I suspect it's going to require a rim with a lower offset and possibly 19".

·
Registered
712 Posts
Thanks for posting this. I've been meaning to call Tirerack about this as well. Looking fwd to your update.

·
Registered
418 Posts
The HEICO BBK also requires 19 inch wheels for clearance. I can't say I am surprised the Brembo kit requires 19 inch wheels given the 365 MM rotors and 4 piston calipers. I guess HEICO at least discloses upfront that 19 inch wheels are required whereas the other websites that carry the Brembo kit do not mention it.

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
The HEICO BBK also requires 19 inch wheels for clearance. I can't say I am surprised given the 365 MM rotors and 4 piston calipers. I guess HEICO at least discloses upfront that 19 inch wheels are required whereas the other websites do not mention appear to mention it.
Heico's kit is 6-piston calipers with 370mm rotors (14.5"), which is pretty damn huge; especially since the R's Brembo's are 12.1" rotors with 4 piston calipers.

The new sport brake kit with aluminum calipers fitted with six pistons are a real eye-catcher with their blue lacquer glaze and HEICO SPORTIV logo; and perforated, internally ventilated 370 millimeter diameter brake disks provide for a better response in wet weather and improved heat dissipation. The result: excellent stability, deceleration values of over 10.35 m/s² and a much shorter braking distance than series-production vehicles.
<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD height=15 width="100%"></TD></TR><TR><TD width="100%">Details</TD></TR><TR><TD height=5 width="100%"></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>- including stainless steel brake pipes front and rear
- deceleration values of over 10.35 m/s²
- braking distance 100-0 km/h = 35,4 m (Volvo = 41,2 m)
- fits with VOLUTION® VII. 19/20 inch or VOLUTION® X 19/20 inch.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Heico's kit is 6-piston calipers with 370mm rotors (14.5"), which is pretty damn huge; especially since the R's Brembo's are 12.1" rotors with 4 piston calipers.

The new sport brake kit with aluminum calipers fitted with six pistons are a real eye-catcher with their blue lacquer glaze and HEICO SPORTIV logo; and perforated, internally ventilated 370 millimeter diameter brake disks provide for a better response in wet weather and improved heat dissipation. The result: excellent stability, deceleration values of over 10.35 m/s² and a much shorter braking distance than series-production vehicles.
<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD height=15 width="100%"></TD></TR><TR><TD width="100%">Details</TD></TR><TR><TD height=5 width="100%"></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>- including stainless steel brake pipes front and rear
- deceleration values of over 10.35 m/s²
- braking distance 100-0 km/h = 35,4 m (Volvo = 41,2 m)
- fits with VOLUTION® VII. 19/20 inch or VOLUTION® X 19/20 inch.
Fixed what I was trying to say there. Its been a long week...

·
Registered
418 Posts
Guys,

We're working with Brembo to release some additional information on this BBK, including wheel size, etc.. There is no stock here in the US and is looking to be about 4-6 weeks out.
George, are you guys going to carry a set of replacement stainless brake lines?

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
Fixed what I was trying to say there. Its been a long week...
It's all good, I was just stating the sizes so everyone knew what they were.

On the brighter side I got some inside news today that there will be brake upgrades to the S60 R-Design for 2013, but not Brembo's, more like the K-PAX set up for the C30 GT.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Excellent. Thanks for sharing. I definitely think this is a positive development.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for posting this. I've been meaning to call Tirerack about this as well. Looking fwd to your update.
I'll post with whatever answers I get. So far an automated response from Tire rack with the name of the person who has been assigned the question, and nothing yet from Brembo.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Thanks George. I will be looking forward to ordering a set.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Guys,

We're working with Brembo to release some additional information on this BBK, including wheel size, etc.. There is no stock here in the US and is looking to be about 4-6 weeks out.

any update on this? will it fit under the stock RD 18" wheel? how much $?

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
any update on this? will it fit under the stock RD 18" wheel? how much $?
We've started a product page for the Brembo GT kit, but still working on finalizing the page (available options, etc). Here is a link to it:
http://www.vivaperformance.com/brembo-gt-big-brake-kit-s60-v60/

Due to the caliper clearance requirements with the Brembo brake calipers, the factory R-Design wheels won't clear the caliper unless spacers are installed. We have also uploaded a caliper clearance PDF provided by Brembo on our product page.

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
We've started a product page for the Brembo GT kit, but still working on finalizing the page (available options, etc). Here is a link to it:

Due to the caliper clearance requirements with the Brembo brake calipers, the factory R-Design wheels won't clear the caliper unless spacers are installed. We have also uploaded a caliper clearance PDF provided by Brembo on our product page.
What size spacers?

·
Registered
712 Posts

Are there any adverse affects of the required spacers?

·
Registered
712 Posts
3 large. Ouch!
If the 2013 setup is a significant performance improvement I'll probably go with that.

It would seem that the only companies putting trackable brakes on street cars are German. My mother got a 2012 Acura TL this week and in my research I found a Type HS tests vs an S4, and they essentially had the same complaint as with the RD - brakes cooked after one lap in the Acura, but Audi no problem.

·
Registered
17 Posts

Hi George,

So you guys have tried to fit the 365mm disk and brake caliper into the factory R-Design (Ixion) 18" wheel without problem if you add the spacer to get the clearance? What's the size of the spacer it required?

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
Hi George,

So you guys have tried to fit the 365mm disk and brake caliper into the factory R-Design (Ixion) 18" wheel without problem if you add the spacer to get the clearance? What's the size of the spacer it required?
We haven't physically tested the Brembo BBK behind the Ixion wheel, but based on the caliper clearance spec sheet and the high offset of the Ixion wheel, a spacer will be necessary to gain the proper clearance. We have not yet measured the spacer size needed for proper clearance, but perhaps an R-Design owner can help us do so using the PDF on our website as a guide?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts