SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Could anybody tell me what could be causing a breather box leaking ???

i recently changed from 5w30 Castrol (regular ) to 5W40 castrol synthetic (40 because of summer )

p.s i made my dealer replaced the breather box it was (blown diaphragm from the inside) and i changed the camshaft seal ..

should i take my car back to the dealer, car is out of warranty but isn't supposed to be leaking from there....

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts
What exactly is leaking?

Two main common issues with the "breather" are
1) torn actuating diaphragm (internal, alters crankcase pressure and blows cam seals)
2) cracked vent pipe (external, creates a mess and eventually throws a CEL due to excess air)

Remember that replacing the unit doesn't prevent the issue from happening again. How long since replacement?

·
Registered
9,114 Posts
If its leaking from the housing against the block could be debris between the two mating surfaces and seal or not properly toqued down. Otherwise like mentioned the upper plastic hose cracks and sprays oil everywhere.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
my breather box was "changed" like 7-8 months ago (more or less 6k miles ago)

here some pics ..
as you can see its not leaking very much oil, but its definitely leaking some , and its definitely wet
sorry for the finger print marks lol...*

·
Registered
9,114 Posts
Oh that, unless it's dripping oil I wouldn't be overly concerned. Likely not a perfect seal between the plastic and aluminum housing. Would spray off with brake clean now and then and not look back.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
not to be worried by that ...????
its just really that :S lol, if it is something stupid let me know ...ill clean it and live with it
if not... well let me know so i can find a way to fix it ;)

·
Registered
23 Posts
You should have a one yr unlimited miles warranty on any oem parts installed @ the dealer. @ least that's what we offer @ my work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well when the dealer replaced the breather box it was part of the complimentary warranty on the pcv system.....that it is until the 120k Miles...
but i think yeah i should be covered by the dealer......but is that normal (what is seen on the pic ) ?

·
Registered
9,114 Posts
That's what we call an oil seap. Over the course of an oil change might lose the equivalent of a couple drops of oil, looks worse cause it collects dirt and looks like a big deal.

I would take it to the dealer and see what they think as regards to parts warranty and if they will replace it but my guess would be they would clean it off and not be overly concerned.

I'd imagine if the majority of people popped their hoods they would see something very similar unless u do regular engine bay cleansing.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
like i said if its not a big deal then ok, ill just clean the bit and see if it keeps wet ....if it does keep getting wet because of oil seap then ill go to the dealership.
But looks like its coming from the black plastic thing from the breather box ...not sure

·
Registered
8 Posts
Here's a shot of my old oil filter housing beside a new one. You can see the black film on the front where yours is seeping too... I suspect this is fairly common if the plastic cover doesn't seal really well with the aluminum housing. If you don't have a PCV / vacuum issue, I don't know if the dealer will replace it just because of the oil film.

The seals on the back of mine appeared to be doing their job.

Old and new front:

Old and new back:

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i dont have any vacuum issues as far as i know, no leaking elsewhere, no UFO landing sound or whistling noise...
just that bit of oil....

somehow your post makes me feel more comfortable with my "oil seap" breather box ...

if it keeps growing ...to the dealer it is ...they were the last one who touch that :S .....and since it is a coverable part until the 120,000 miles (so i have heard) ill let them know and see what they have to say ..

so in conclusion at least its not a big deal :S ....

·
Registered
23 Posts
well when the dealer replaced the breather box it was part of the complimentary warranty on the pcv system.....that it is until the 120k Miles...
but i think yeah i should be covered by the dealer......but is that normal (what is seen on the pic ) ?
If I pulled that car into my bay and saw that I would replace it. I would say that is not normal and there is a problem w/ the seal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts
I wouldn't spend any time at all worrying about it.

Regarding the Pumaspeed part, it's the same thing you received from Volvo. The part has been redesigned over time, and the internal diaphragm is somewhat stronger. But, it's a single-sourced part, and they're all the same now.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I wouldn't spend any time at all worrying about it.

Regarding the Pumaspeed part, it's the same thing you received from Volvo. The part has been redesigned over time, and the internal diaphragm is somewhat stronger. But, it's a single-sourced part, and they're all the same now.
THAT is what i wanted to hear(read)/know :p

thanks for now i think "case closed"
but ill be watching the oil seap periodically

thanks!

·
Registered
8 Posts
.....and since it is a coverable part until the 120,000 miles (so i have heard) ill let them know and see what they have to say ..

Thats what I thought until I brought my car in and was told that my VIN was not included in the service bulletin, and therefore, not covered by the extended warranty. Nice job, Volvo!

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thats what I thought until I brought my car in and was told that my VIN was not included in the service bulletin, and therefore, not covered by the extended warranty. Nice job, Volvo!
i dont know if i was included on the list, but the guy in charge of the service department in my local volvo dealer made me a favor, i told him to please replace the PCV breather box or i will crash into a wall cause I was frustrated with my car leaking through the cam seals cause of a pcv collapsed hose (dad and mechanic used a incorrect one [Long story]) and he actually did ....but he told me this service was for the people that have a sort of like a indian houling/running sound in their engine bay (really didn't know what he meant by that ) but thats the only way they replaced pcv breather box to people ...

he is a good guy lol..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts