SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been a long time since I owned a new car, what is the best practice for breaking in a new Volov engine? Thanks!

·
Registered
265 Posts
Drive it like you stole it.. There you go.. there is a ton of varying opinions on break in periods...

·
Registered
339 Posts
According to Volvo, just drive it. Everyone has their own theories and stories about how they "drove it like ...." (whether fast or slow) and it's never burned a bit of oil over 200k miles. It's all anecdotal.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
According to Volvo, just drive it. Everyone has their own theories and stories about how they "drove it like ...." (whether fast or slow) and it's never burned a bit of oil over 200k miles. It's all anecdotal.
+1

·
Registered
112 Posts
Don't know if it's Urban Legend or not...but was told to stay away from the cruise control until after 1500 miles. And then, when using cruise from 1500 to 3000 miles, don't leave it a one speed for a long time.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Don't know if it's Urban Legend or not...but was told to stay away from the cruise control until after 1500 miles. And then, when using cruise from 1500 to 3000 miles, don't leave it a one speed for a long time.
;) Should be in the manual for sure

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
They used to recommend that - no more.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Nothing in the manual and when I asked at FDC, no specific instructions -- "just drive it". So I did. Local, moderate highway, city, long distance highway, 130MPH autobahn. Over 60K miles with no problems (so far). Full synth Castrol every time.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
For the first 500 miles, I avoid long periods of consistent higher rev's, so no cruise control at highway speeds. Try to vary engine revs but keep it under 5,000 rpms. Many "expert" articles I've read say to get that break-in oil out of there sooner than later, because its laden with metal particles. I changed mine at 5K rather than the 10K Volvo recommendation, but many experts recommend much sooner, by the first 1K, when most of the break-in occurs. I would hold-off on using the synthetic oil until the second oil change, presumably the first Volvo recommended change around 10K.

·
Registered
326 Posts
For the first 500 miles, Many "expert" articles I've read say to get that break-in oil out of there sooner than later, because its laden with metal particles. I would hold-off on using the synthetic oil until the second oil change, presumably the first Volvo recommended change around 10K.
I agree with getting the original oil out as soon as possible. I would not go any longer than 500 miles. As far as I know, the T5 comes with Castrol Synthetic as the original oil. Check your Owner's Manual. Put in an oil that meets the correct spec for your country. I would also recommend changing oil at 7,500 mile intervals. I live in Minnesota, USA where the temps this time of year are ten degrees below zero. I change at 5,000 mile intervals. Also, use good quality fuel and the highest octane available.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Been super conservative, just driving around town a little to see if everything is okay with the car. I live and work in the same building, so I don't drive too often. This weekend, I finally pushed the gas peddle down and car took off like a rocket... LOVE IT. Could smell the excess oil burned off thru the aircon. Only pushed down one time on a 1 hour drive... will keep taking it easy, and just ease into things.

Am curious about the oil, it's like 30-40 degrees C here all the time.. hot weather, so gotta do all I can to keep the engine well oiled. I will consult with my dealer tomorrow as it's going in for accessories.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts