SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had my 2021 XC60 in for 10k service. I asked the dealer to look at the braking system, as it felt a little wobbly to me.
They told me they felt it too, but that brakes are otherwise in spec. They did also say they saw brake pad transfer?
They asked me to monitor it and report back, and in the interim, try leaning into stopping harder in order to wear off the pad transfer...
Does this any make sense, or is it just a run around?

·
Registered
15,617 Posts
The dealer is on it - brake pad transfer is exactly what is happening with your brakes when you feel uneven braking.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Brake pad transfer is layer of brake pad material that is on the disc. Once the brake pad material is sufficiently transferred to the surface of the disc, it increases the coefficient of friction or, simply put, makes the brakes more “grabby” to each other.
If the brake pad transfer is unevenly applied, then you will get shuddering or "jerky" brake feel when applying the brakes.
The dealer's recommendation to "lean into" the brakes when stopping may work - depending on how uneven the pad transfer currently is.
I would suggest finding an deserted road where you can get up to 60 mph, several times. Use a hard application of the brakes (almost to the point of engaging the ABS) down to about 5 mph, then back up to 60 and repeat. Don't stop. Do this about 5 -6 times and then drive the car for about 10 minutes without applying the brakes. This will let the pads and rotors cool down. If this does not fix the issue, you will likely need new rotors to get rid of the issue.

·
Registered
2009 C30 T5 R-Design; 2008 XC70 3.2NA
236 Posts
While the dealer's prognosis seems correct, it's a shame they didn't try doing what Unkgd suggested above. I agree that's the best course of action. Usually something you do with brand new brakes to break them (that initial pad transfer). Still, they should've done that for you IMO before handing back the keys. At least it's not really a runaround either.

·
Registered
14 Posts
A few Moderate stops from 60-70mph should clean that up. They should have done it for you.

·
Registered
818 Posts
A few Moderate stops from 60-70mph should clean that up. They should have done it for you.
Just make sure that after a couple repeated high speed stops, the brakes will be HOT, drive around casually for a few minutes to let them cool before coming to a full stop.
When parking after HOT brakes, they cool slower under the pads, and the rest of the rotor cools faster. This can also cause "hot spots" that will cause pulsing that feel like warped rotors. (it can also cause warped rotors I guess...)

Reactions: GREY-FOX

·
Registered
396 Posts
Lol, do y'all live in the middle of nowhere? Here in Detroit, I'd need to wait until 3am to find a road where I could do this safely, and then I'd probably get stopped by the cops on suspicion of drunk driving. That, or I'd need to drive 50 miles out into the countryside to find a rural road like this.

Is there any practical way of doing this if you live, say, in a city of more than 5,000 people?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Lol, do y'all live in the middle of nowhere? Here in Detroit, I'd need to wait until 3am to find a road where I could do this safely, and then I'd probably get stopped by the cops on suspicion of drunk driving. That, or I'd need to drive 50 miles out into the countryside to find a rural road like this.

Is there any practical way of doing this if you live, say, in a city of more than 5,000 people?
LOL if there is a will there is a way!

I am about 1hr east of the city (NYC).....plenty of places.

·
Registered
818 Posts

Woodward Avenue, was made for speed.
This was ON Woodward Ave
I took these in 2018

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The brakes have 10K miles on them and are approaching one year; seems odd to be dealing with this issue now?
And given all the whitetail deer where I live, I have panic break more than a few times, engaging ABS on several occasions.
This issue has only surfaced recently...
VBC Subscription (which this vehicle is) makes the rotors and discs Volvo's issue; not sure if that makes the dealer more or less reluctant to address braking issues (Volvo's achilles heel).
I am happy to go to any track, and try to wear out the pads and rotors, on Volvo's dime; I am very willing to scrub speed in a turn to burn off any excess residual on the pads!

·
Registered
15,617 Posts
The brakes have 10K miles on them and are approaching one year; seems odd to be dealing with this issue now?
It's such a common problem that Volvo warrants them to 30k miles now. Somebody will correct me if I'm wrong here.

I think it's a combination of pad, rotor, pads and rotors not being bedded, and driving style as contributing factors. Some folks have had two brake replacements by 10k miles and others can make it all the way to 40-50k when they're legitimately worn and have been fine. There are a ton of threads on the subject.

·
Registered
133 Posts
@VolvoCPA is the issue with the front or rear breaks?
I had issues with the rest breaks of the XC40 where they had to replace the pads and the rotors. It is a known issue with the XC40, there is even a technical bulletin addressing the issue. Someone recommended installing ceramic pads.
Maybe the XC60 pads have the same problem?

Here is the thread from the XC40 forum.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Woodward Avenue, was made for speed.
This was ON Woodward Ave
I took these in 2018
...so...I guess I'll just wait to schedule my brake service when there's a race scheduled for one of the major arterials around the City?

The posted speed limit on Woodward Ave. ranges from 25mph downtown, to 50mph twenty miles out in the burbs. And there's tens of thousands of cars on this road daily. I'm pretty sure you're being sarcastic (if so, bravo), but it would be wildly irresponsible to drive 60-70mph on this road while slamming on the brakes repeatedly. Good way to get rear ended or piss off the wrong person.

·
Registered
2009 C30 T5 R-Design; 2008 XC70 3.2NA
236 Posts
...so...I guess I'll just wait to schedule my brake service when there's a race scheduled for one of the major arterials around the City?

The posted speed limit on Woodward Ave. ranges from 25mph downtown, to 50mph twenty miles out in the burbs. And there's tens of thousands of cars on this road daily. I'm pretty sure you're being sarcastic (if so, bravo), but it would be wildly irresponsible to drive 60-70mph on this road while slamming on the brakes repeatedly. Good way to get rear ended or piss off the wrong person.
Are there some big, mostly abandoned industrial parks around there? Seems anywhere there's a warehouse or industrial district around, there are PLENTY of opportunities for proper auto hooliganism, thus great places to break things in.

·
Registered
818 Posts

Yeah, OR< you can take a joke, geez. I don't live in Detroit, but as shown, I have been there. Many times. There are highways ALL AROUND the city, super easy to go whatever speed you desire, safely. And you can brake firmly down to whatever on the exit ramp, then just re-merge onto the highway for a cool down.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Yeah, OR< you can take a joke, geez. I don't live in Detroit, but as shown, I have been there. Many times. There are highways ALL AROUND the city, super easy to go whatever speed you desire, safely. And you can brake firmly down to whatever on the exit ramp, then just re-merge onto the highway for a cool down.
I thought you maybe were joking, but people around here do all sorts of really ridiculous **** with their cars, so I would not have been surprised if you'd been dead serious.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I thought you maybe were joking, but people around here do all sorts of really ridiculous **** with their cars, so I would not have been surprised if you'd been dead serious.
Gotcha, definitely primarily mainly joking. I have participated in the Woodward Dream cruise several times. While speed is typically very slow, vehicular control can be exuberant!

·
Registered
818 Posts
Yep, Dream Cruise is (relatively) tame. It's the other 362 days of the year you gotta watch out for!
And Roadkill nights is back for 2022 (when I recorded those videos) Might make it out there again this year, but in a Volvo doesn't feel right.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts