SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering buying a demo car with 300 miles on it. I would be getting the following:

Premium
Climate
Alamacantra Leather
Sonic Blue
18'' Graphite

I told the dealer that I was not willing to pay extra for the leather and that the only way I would purchase the car was if they gave it to me for invoice - the cost of the leather.

My question is what is the break in period on this car, I don't want to purchase a demo that hasn't been broken in, if indeed there is a break in period.

·
Registered
21,166 Posts
Re: Break in period question (jonecasey)

Quote, originally posted by jonecasey »
Alamacantra Leather

Perhaps Atacama?

I told the dealer that I was not willing to pay extra for the leather and that the only way I would purchase the car was if they gave it to me for invoice - the cost of the leather.

Before or after any incentives?

My question is what is the break in period on this car, I don't want to purchase a demo that hasn't been broken in, if indeed there is a break in period.

Break in is subjective. Some of us gradually test the higher end of the RPM range after a few hundred miles but others "drive it like they stole it" straight from the dealer's lot. Also, others have pointed out that the car is "tested" pretty aggressively after rolling off the assembly line. IMO, a demo is more apt to be abused (I mean tested) right off the bat since a potential customer will want to try out the vehicle. Bottom line......there's a warranty so if your comfort level is good and can work a deal....go for it.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Re: Break in period question (MagoonR)

My Volvo tech (and fellow R owner) said new Volvo's don't really need a break-in like in the old days. But he also suggested a couple thousand Km's of easy driving as his personal opinion. He also said the most important thing is to get the car fully warmed up before driving any new engine and especially before you push the RPMs up. He also said changing the oil sooner than the first recommended interval is a good idea (I think he said around 1/2 to 3/4's of the way there). As most of us agree, synthetic is the way to go (he said he thinks new Volvos are shipped with semi-synthetic but did not valdiate this claim).

Others have said that varying the RPM's is a good idea, ie don't put it on cruse for 10 minutes at the same engine speed. (maybe this means city driving is better for break-in than hwy driving)

I think Mr. P once told me that breakin in new cars is mainly to seat the piston rings and the best way to do that is to use moderate engine breaking (with a warm engine of course). ie. Drive at around 60Km/h and then down shift and take your foot off the gas using the engine to slow the car down. He also said to keep the factory oil in until the first schedule change. I believe this thought comes from the older days when you needed some wear to happen to achieve optimum compression. Since today's car's are built to much tighter tolerences that part is debatable.

I believe Yannis said follow the owner's manual (and there is no mention of break-in).

Does 'drive it like you stole it' mean drive it hard with high RPM's? Personally I would not choose this method.

LTA

·
Registered
633 Posts

I always strayed away from demos because I know the way I demo a car. Loved the interior spelling btw. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
633 Posts
Re: (jonecasey)

There is a brand new sonic blue with Gobi interior and automatic on ebay for around $38,000.
I believe it is still active.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Re: (Eric_H)

For those of you who don't think that a break-in process is occurring, have a sample of the engine oil sent off for analysis. The engine will be throwing off metal particles (otherwise known as breaking in) until around 7,500 to 10,000 miles. How you choose to break the engine in is a personal decision.

·
Registered
18,762 Posts
Re: (avolvofan)

factory told me when I picked it up, to keep it below 4K rpms for first 1200 miles. Others have mentioned not using cruise control for extended periods to keep rpms varied to allow rings/seals to seat properly.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts

Funny, I always thought it was Abracadabra leather
?

... anyways, even though I was SOOOOOO tempted to violate her right out of the box, I did as "R" Kelly above suggests and really tried to keep the RPMs under 4000 for about the first 1500 miles. Be sure to check the oil level after every fill up intially to monitor the oil consumption. That one IS in the manual.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yea I was pretty sure I was spelling it wrong. Thanks for all the help. I think I will be order a new one this weekened, Red with Blue interior and ti pegs. Just wish I could find a red one to see in person before ordering it.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Re: Break in period question (Eric_H)

Quote, originally posted by Eric_H »
I always strayed away from demos because I know the way I demo a car. Loved the interior spelling btw. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

Hmm...you should really, then, see how the factory (and port) people "demo" your car...

Yannis

·
Registered
633 Posts
Re: Break in period question (GrecianVolvo)

Quote, originally posted by GrecianVolvo »

Hmm...you should really, then, see how the factory (and port) people "demo" your car...

Yannis

lol !

1 - 12 of 12 Posts