SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey cats,

Just wanted to say hi and to express my gratitude at the massive quantity of incredibly helpful info here! I just bought an '06 S60 R two weeks ago...

Was originally looking at the STI and after driving it really felt like it would be the type of thing I would regret purchasing after a few months. Went in to a Volvo dealership to look at the XC70 for my wife, and after chatting with the manager for a while he pointed out the S60 R with a grin on his face... It was love at first sight (me and the car, not the manager and I!
). That car has everything I wanted; great performance, all wheel drive, classy styling, and that feeling of being in something really "special" every time you get in. I break out into a smile every time I walk up to get in to it.

Now that I've found this community, I'm already thinking of a few little tweaks to make her that much more special. I think a blacked out grill would be pretty sweet, and this headlight painting trick on Boosted S60R's whip has me wondering where I can get it done here in Ontario...

http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=60974

SO nice!

I think I'll keep the tweaks relegated to asthetic only until the warranty is up...
I may have to look at new wheels come next spring, I'd love something in a 5-spoke really dark gunmetal, with a polished lip. Hard to find, but I know using the search feature here will turn up the options I need!

Again, just wanted to say hello and say thanks for all the great info. I'm going to beat the hell out of that search feature, but I still may end up posting a question or two you've heard before, either due inefficient searching on my part or just overexcitement and wanting to talk to someone about this kickass car.

GB

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Re: Brand new to the brand and loving my s60 R! (grimmbob)

Welcome aboard Bob and congrats on the purchase...your car will open up a lot after you put a few thousand miles on it. Make sure you keep the revs under 5k until you get over 1500 miles and switch to synthetic if you feel comfortable before your next scheduled service.

Enjoy!!

http://********************/smile/emthup.gif http://********************/smile/emthup.gif http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Re: Brand new to the brand and loving my s60 R! (pie_ya)

Welcome. That smile you get every time you get into the R will just keep getting bigger and bigger. I have had mine almost a year and I still have PERMA-GRIN! Enjoy and do not hesitate to ask questions. Some will be dinks but for the most part you have US at your disposal. Take care, Rick

·
Registered
201 Posts
Sounds like de ja vu.

I was totally considering an STi or Evo VII when it came down to it, but I prefer luxury over raw performance any day. Best of both worlds with my S60 R! In fact, I found myself going out last evening to the driveway as my wife called and said she was just around the corner. I just wanted to see her come up the street in it and pull into the driveway. Like a proud dad!

Those are great pics of Boosted R's car. Is that the Evolve kit?

·
Registered
1,964 Posts

Quote, originally posted by grimmbob »
I may have to look at new wheels come next spring, I'd love something in a 5-spoke really dark gunmetal, with a polished lip. Hard to find, but I know using the search feature here will turn up the options I need!

These are for sale currently. http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=57203

I wanted to wait for the warranty too. But I just can't.

Welcome to the forum. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

·
Premium Member
6,526 Posts
Re: (SoCal_S60R)

Quote, originally posted by SoCal_S60R »
...I was totally considering an STi or Evo VII when it came down to it, but I prefer luxury over raw performance any day.

Mmmmm....2008 is going to be a good year....

-Eric

·
Registered
149 Posts

That car has everything I wanted; great performance, all wheel drive, classy styling, and that feeling of being in something really "special" every time you get in. I break out into a smile every time I walk up to get in to it.GB

I know the feeling. I still have it after almost 2 years. Usually by this time, I'm starting to look around at other cars. This is the first car I've had that I honestly couldn't do better without spending a huge amount of additional money. Every time I walk toward it in a parking lot, it's love all over again. These forums can get pretty heavily involved in technical minutia and carping about inept dealers (a valid problem, btw). Sometimes I think we lose track of just how fantastic these cars are. Especially in the styling and comfort categories.

The suggestion I'd recommend for "Mod. #1" would be the Evolve sport springs (or equivalent Eibachs) and the 5mm front/15mm rear wheel spacers. Your car will handle better, it won't ruin the ride and the difference in appearance is astounding. Stance is where Volvo dropped the ball the worst in my opinion, and luckily it's not very expensive/difficult to fix. Estimate $350 for springs, $300-$400 for install/alignment/4C recalibration. and around $240 for all 4 spacers w/longer bolts. Your car will look much meaner and the stock wheels and tires will look bigger & wider. It would look great with aftermarket wheels as well, but I think you'd be surprised at how good the stock Pegs (especially if you have 18s) look with this setup. It's the first car I've EVER owned that I have no desire to spend the $$ on wheels & tires. Just my $0.02!

Enjoy!

Modified by TeeRex at 7:42 PM 6-30-2006

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: Brand new to the brand and loving my s60 R! (TeeRex)

Teerex, thanks for the pointers! That does sound like a great place to start, even pre-new wheels. Does that drop and spacing cause any additional rubbing? Also, does a 4C recal void the warranty? I'll search that one out further here on the board regardless, it sounds worth looking in to.

And thanks to everyone for the welcome! That's something I really felt when I found the R; people who dig ands truly "get" this car are going to be CAR people. I got very sick of some of the back and forth message board battles I saw between fanboy camps of a couple other brands I was considering, and I really didn't want to be a part of a community like that. True car people IMHO can weigh the pros and cons of many vehicles while not feeling their own personal preferences to be threatened.

Anyways, thanks again, and I know I look forward to sharing the excitement of R ownership with all of you.

GB

·
Registered
6,037 Posts

It was love at first sight (me and the car, not the manager and I!

LMAO it would not be teh first time!

*inside joke

·
Registered
2,545 Posts

Hello and welcome grimmbob!

You have impecable taste, Black Saph. and Atacama is the nicest you can do on an R IMHO! (In my very biased and humble opinion, that is). Nice to see another Canadian boy with an R here at SS. We'll have to do a GTG in your part of town, how many R's you think we can get on the good ol' Wasaga Beach Strip?

Easy first mod: Consider cutting out your fog grills, it's an easy mod as long as you have a steady hand and sharp drywall knife. Just be careful taking out the grills, don't break off the retaining tabs.

LTA

·
Registered
149 Posts

The lowering springs will exacerbate the front tire rubbing that you probably already have during a full lock turn (turning tightly in parking lots, etc.). The 5mm front spacers pretty much take it back to the the rubbing (if any) you had before the lowering springs. That's really the only reason for the front spacers since 5mm doesn't have much effect on styling.

I have no rubbing front or rear, with or without passengers/cargo, no matter how bad the street conditions or how hard I'm cornering, period. And additionally, I had Continental Contisport Extreme Contact tires (a great high performance all-season tire, btw) put on at the same time as the springs. These tires are a bit wider in the same size as the stock Pirelli's were. Other than the full lock steering rub, no rubbing at all. And the spacers made that much better. The 15mm rear spacers are purely for looks, but they are very effective for that. They move the wheels/tires out to the edge of the car's body the way they should be (think M3 here) instead of the body hanging out past the wheel/tire (think Caprice Classic here).

Recalibrating the 4C system must be performed by a Volvo dealer as far as I know, and for that reason it's better if you can find a dealer that will install your springs, align the car and recalibrate the 4C system (it's just a computer reboot type procedure from what I understand) for you at that time. Gorges Volvo in Omaha Nebraska did the springs for me for $750 total including the springs. Do a search or ask around in your area for a dealer that'll do it. Some will, some won't.

It won't void your warranty since the Volvo dealer is doing it, and it's just a software setting. One thing to beware of is many Volvo repair personnel don't seem to know the procedure for calibrating the 4C system without screwing up the headlights (the 4C and headlights are related). Just make sure you either warn them and/or check the headlights before you leave the dealership. Much more on this subject can be found on these forums for more details.

Good luck!

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: Brand new to the brand and loving my s60 R! (TeeRex)

LTA, that would be great! A lineup of R's would be sweet on the strip, would turn a lot of heads for sure. Wonder how many folks we could get together?

Teerex, thanks for the additional info. I'll check with the folks at the dealership and see what they have to say.

GB

·
Registered
969 Posts
Re: Brand new to the brand and loving my s60 R! (LTA)

Quote, originally posted by LTA »
Hello and welcome grimmbob!
You have impecable taste, Black Saph. and Atacama is the nicest you can do on an R IMHO! (In my very biased and humble opinion, that is).
LTA

Love your color combo, but I have to tell you, I get daily compliments on my R and it is a wagon. I just love the Atacama interior. I know you will enjoy your new car as much as I love mine

Jim

Modified by surfsd at 12:58 PM 7-1-2006

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Re: Brand new to the brand and loving my s60 R! (surfsd)

Quote, originally posted by surfsd »

Love your color combo, but I have to tell you, I get daily compliments on my R and it is a wagon. I just love the Atacama interior. I know you will enjoy your new car as much as I love mine

Jim

Modified by surfsd at 12:58 PM 7-1-2006

People compliment my Atacama interior all the time! Make sure you take good care of it, get yourself some Lexol cleaner and conditioner and treat it once/month.

LTA

·
Registered
2,545 Posts

LTA, that would be great! A lineup of R's would be sweet on the strip, would turn a lot of heads for sure. Wonder how many folks we could get together?
GB

Well there's a good chance atleast three of us would be there (me, you and zigger). Trouble is a trip to the beach with my family involves the XC90 (there are five of us plus all the beach stuff!) I guess we'll just have to drive both Volvo's!
http://********************/smile/emthup.gif http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

Zig' is away for a couple weeks, when he's back we should pick a Sunday for a Wasaga Beach R GTG! Middle of August would be cool.

LTA

1 - 20 of 21 Posts