SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 06 S60 T5, 195k, pretty much stock. A few months ago I had an issue where my rear driver side brake caliper wouldn't release, and it was grinding the old pads into the rotor and heating everything up a lot and was, I thought, the cause of the excessive brake dust on the rear driver side rim. Long story short, I replaced all four rotors, all new pads all around, and a brand new caliper in the rear, professionally installed, which came with bleeding the brakes. Everything was redone, but I still have some serious brake dust on just that one rim. As in you wash the car, take it for a five minute drive, and that one wheel is covered in so much dust it looks brown. Also, when I went to fill up the tires the other day that one rim had gotten so hot it burned my hand when I touched it. This is clearly not normal, but what could be causing it? The other three corners are normal, and this has been an issue for months now. My parking brake is really bad and needs replaced, but could some sort of contact within that system be causing so much dust?

·
Registered
515 Posts
Looks like either the caliper is seized, or you have a problem with the handbrake shoes inside the drum

New caliper can be good or cheap, depending on the brand. I would rather use a used genuine without much rust. Also check the sliding pins move easily: if someone put regular grease to them, the rubber jacket around will swollen and the sleeves will get stuck - the rubber bush needs replaced. Can also test the piston, by releasing the bleeder a little, then pushing back the piston, should move quite easily

Just lift the wheel and try turning it by hand, should be easy to spin and should keep turning a few seconds

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I got a chance to dig into it a little more today, and after taking off the caliper the wheel rotated pretty freely, so it's definitely an issue with the caliper not releasing. There's no way it's the caliper itself, since it's brand new. I'm thinking it must not be releasing all the pressure properly when I let off the brakes. Would this be an issue with the lines? Or is there a valve somewhere that's blocked up? Or is it just the brake booster? I'm thinking I could loosen the bleeder valve ever so slightly on that caliper, then just keep an eye on the brake fluid... Sounds dangerous though, and I'd prefer a correct solution haha

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I had it replaced right before taking a month long trip to Europe, so it's hard to recall, but it was fairly immediate if I remember. While working on the brakes over the past few days, obviously I removed the calipers and put them back on, and that has seemed to help the problem. They don't get as hot as they used to after I pushed the piston back a little to get them off, but they are definitely still binding a little since it gets warmer on that tire than the rest. I ordered a new brake line as well, so in the next few days when that gets in I should be able to check if that was the issue...

·
Registered
53 Posts
When was the last time you did a brake fluid flush? Contamination in the lines can ruin new calipers quickly. Moisture leads to corrosion & particulates.....calipers don’t like either. There’s nothing in the system that would prevent fluid from flowing “back”, although to be honest the fluid doesn’t really flow much at all under normal braking. You’ve most likely got a problem with bad fluid or bad calipers (were they rebuilds?).

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's the strange thing, it was a brand new caliper, the other 3 are stock still. I had my starter die on me and haven't gotten a chance to change anything yet, but while the rear has mostly stopped, now the front caliper is doing the same thing... I might just try a flush , who knows how old that fluid is in there... Will report back!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts