SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Volvo S60 T6 R-Design Polestar
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did not realize the Volvo brakes were THIS bad. I bought my 2019 used in June 2020. I have already had brakes replaced in October ‘20 and Feb ‘21. Brought the S60 in again last week (April ‘21) for a check engine light, got the vehicle back and the brakes are already squeaking AGAIN! I haven’t even put 1k miles on those! I feel bad calling and complaining to the dealership but these squeak so bad I can’t even turn the music up to cover it. I don’t know what to do at this point.

·
Registered
2019 Volvo S60 T6P* Momentum
184 Posts
I've just accepted it. Not going to constantly have the brakes replaced for squeaking when it's just going to come back.. your only solution is get a new car or go aftermarket. How the hell can you not turn the music up loud enough?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've just accepted it. Not going to constantly have the brakes replaced for squeaking when it's just going to come back.. your only solution is get a new car or go aftermarket. How the hell can you not turn the music up loud enough?
HK lol

·
Registered
622 Posts
If you're a DIY person, try cleaning the Caliper + brake system. Then, apply brake grease on the caliper pins and the edges of the pads. This should fix your problem. If not, install Ceramic pads and enjoy your Volvo...

Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Strongly leaning towards ceramic pads because the only thing I do not like about my S60 are the brakes! I was thinking about letting them continue to replace them as long as they’re covered by warranty, but now I’m thinking it’s not worth all the dealership visits. Already been replaced twice

·
Registered
759 Posts
The vibrations seem to be common, the squeaking not so much. It could be anything from a stone caught in the caliper to some other vibration issue the greasing Nerd23 mentions would likely fix. If you are handy you might just check it out. Myself, I know these pads are good for causing brake judder, if you don't have it now you probably will soon, so I would just go ahead and swap the pads. In addition to doing a proper job greasing sliders and pad ears, I would smear a little CRC brake quiet on the pad backs, that has always worked wonders for me, I tend to run less "well behaved" performance pads since that's how I roll, and the CRC red stuff tames them all.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I will start browsing new pads. Anyone else on this forum swap pads yet? Where did you get them and how do you like them?? This would be my first aftermarket brake swap on any car I’ve owned. Usually only do smaller mods

·
Registered
141 Posts
I will start browsing new pads. Anyone else on this forum swap pads yet? Where did you get them and how do you like them?? This would be my first aftermarket brake swap on any car I’ve owned. Usually only do smaller mods
Ceramic pads are your best option. Whatever brand you choose. There are several good brands to choose from. Good grip. Little to no brake dust. There are many recent posts here on brands. Just scroll down a bit from this this topic and you will see.

·
Registered
622 Posts
There are plenty of brands mentioned in the forum. I'm using Akebono Ceramic EUR 1865 in the front + Wagner Ceramic Pads QC1821.

Currently have 18K miles in the akebono and they are still quiet and have half life left.

I just installed the Wagner in the rear and my initial impression that they are a high quality pads like Akebono but can't give a review because I just installed them last week. Honestly, they are performing just like the Akebono so far.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Probably others recommendations are better for most. If you want a high performance pad, like you might accidentally veer off into a racetrack, or you just like to know you can handle absolutely anything that comes your way, say you need to do some felony evasion...I recommend the Porterfield R4-S it will do everything from your daily drive to "hey y'all watch this!"

·
Registered
622 Posts
Probably others recommendations are better for most. If you want a high performance pad, like you might accidentally veer off into a racetrack, or you just like to know you can handle absolutely anything that comes your way, say you need to do some felony evasion...I recommend the Porterfield R4-S it will do everything from your daily drive to "hey y'all watch this!"
Good luck paying that $195 for a one set of pads

·
Registered
759 Posts
Good luck paying that $195 for a one set of pads
No argument there. Gotta pay to play...insert whatever justification needed there to rationalize ha. I did say not for everyone ;-) They are absolutely essential for me, and worth the price as I can drive them daily, show up at a Track Night, do 3 sessions then drive home. No judder and no squeals. Precious few pads that can do that. And around here precious few that need that, but it's available if you want it. I personally like the performance characteristics as well, more of a subjective thing. I've gathered over the years for some reason people value durable "mods" over consumable ones, I can see the psychology of that. Strut bars, bigger wheels with wider tires, slotted and drilled rotors are nice and all and have the aesthetic component, but simply swapping sticky summer tires and proper brake pads blows any of that stuff away. Anyone who disagrees is welcome to come to Palmer or Thompson Track Night and try to keep up ;-) What were we talking about...oops I was probably rambling again I'll see myself out...

·
Registered
25 Posts
You forgot the painted brake calipers, for Pete's sake... now that's where the money is truly well spent! :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts