SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched the forum, but found absolutely no mention of what I experienced last week, so I'd like to get everyone's opinion. Even google came up blank!

We were driving to work during a rain storm, and being spring, water still puddles quite a bit at the edge of the street/highway so we drove trough a few of those as well.

We were now on the highway doing ~110kph (65mph) and I hadn't touched my brakes for a few km, when I did, I felt a sensation that I never wish to repeat, in that there was no stopping power, then suddenly I felt the massive discs grab and bring us down from speed. Have any of you experienced that before? It has been sunny since that day, so we have not had a chance to 're-enact' the circumstances.

Now, at the time this happened, we only had the truck for barely a few days (5 or 6 max) and were not used to the brake feel, ie: long travel. So I don't know if it was due to that or the brakes were simply too wet and needed to 'dry'. Both sets of discs and pads are in excellent shape, so I know it's not due to a weakness in that area.

I'd appreciate any comments.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Re: Brakes in heavy rain (Pinstripe)

Quote, originally posted by Pinstripe »
that there was no stopping power, then suddenly I felt the massive discs grab and bring us down from speed.

Yep, can be scary. Some BMW's address this with a safety feature called brake drying.

"Brake Drying brings the pads up against the rotors periodically when rain is sensed, in order to eliminate the film of water between the pads and rotors." This can be easily emulated with any car.. http://www.bimmerfest.com/foru...56429

·
Registered
930 Posts
Re: Brakes in heavy rain (Tao)

Quote, originally posted by Tao »

Yep, can be scary. Some BMW's address this with a safety feature called brake drying.

"Brake Drying brings the pads up against the rotors periodically when rain is sensed, in order to eliminate the film of water between the pads and rotors." This can be easily emulated with any car.. http://www.bimmerfest.com/foru...56429

It's definitely not a bad idea to lightly use left-foot braking (while driving) to dry your pads and disks after going through puddles, rainstorms, or car washes. Just a few brief applications, light enough to be barely perceptible by a passenger, should do the trick.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know what the problem is, first few years of the B5 Passat (I owned one, great car!) had the same issue, until VW added water shields in front of the wheel openings and water guards around the discs.

I figured this car did not have this 'issue' since it has not been discussed, but if I'm understanding you guys, mine was not an isolated accurance.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Re: (Pinstripe)

Quote, originally posted by Pinstripe »
I know what the problem is, first few years of the B5 Passat (I owned one, great car!) had the same issue, until VW added water shields in front of the wheel openings and water guards around the discs.

I figured this car did not have this 'issue' since it has not been discussed, but if I'm understanding you guys, mine was not an isolated accurance.
I wouldn't say that, the replies did not come out and say that they had this happen. We have had 2 XC90's over the last 4 years and never had what occurred to you.

Maybe they left a shield off of your XC? I would have the dealer check, especially something like the brake system.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I checked and everything is attached. We had pouring rain on sunday and everything worked perfectly, however, I was not off the brakes as lenghty a time as the first.

I don't trust my dealer one bit. Plus my warrenty is up in 500km.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Re: Brakes in heavy rain (Ljungeld)

Page 96 of my 2006 owner's manual pretty much ehoes Ljungeld's comments on how to avoid that problem, what conditions cause it, and what you experience if they are wet. I think the puddles you mentioned are the biggest culprit. In my experience, that has happened in every vehicle I have owned.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.