SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Brakes did not fully engage UPDATE

During my commute this morning, I was coming to a stop at a red light and my car simply would not STOP! :eek: Auto start/stop was turned off and I had ample time to stop. I had both feet on the brake pedal pushing as hard as I could, and while the car did slow down for the most part, it continued to roll slowly forward. Thank goodness I was on a slight hill otherwise I would have rear-ended the vehicle in front of me. It scared the snot out of me. Going to call my dealer, but in the meantime, anyone else had this happen? Just had my 20k service a couple weeks ago and no issues were noted.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
You didn't add antifreeze to your brake fluid (as is being recommended on Facebook), did you?

·
Registered
265 Posts
During my commute this morning, I was coming to a stop at a red light and my car simply would not STOP! :eek: Auto start/stop was turned off and I had ample time to stop. I had both feet on the brake pedal pushing as hard as I could, and while the car did slow down for the most part, it continued to roll slowly forward. Thank goodness I was on a slight hill otherwise I would have rear-ended the vehicle in front of me. It scared the snot out of me. Going to call my dealer, but in the meantime, anyone else had this happen? Just had my 20k service a couple weeks ago and no issues were noted.
Tow to Dealer!!!! Dont try to drive it.. That is scary, glad your ok!

·
Registered
96 Posts
This is the characteristic you would expect if the vacuum boost system for the brakes failed for some reason. Could be a bad hose/connection. Was the engine running normally? Did you try shifting to neutral or a lower gear?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is the characteristic you would expect if the vacuum boost system for the brakes failed for some reason. Could be a bad hose/connection. Was the engine running normally? Did you try shifting to neutral or a lower gear?
Yes, everything seemed to be running normally. I did not downshift.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
Just for reference, if that happens you should press and hold down the parking brake switch to activate the electric actuator for the rear brakes.

Definitely something wrong.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
I had something maybe related happen last year. When I start the car and start backing down the driveway I noticed I had to press real hard on the brakes to stop. After driving for a while it would be ok.
It was not that bad so I ignored it for a while till I was sure. Took it to dealer and it was a brake booster fuse. Replaced under warranty. All is fine since.
Just disappointed that Volvo would not display a warning if something like this happens.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
UPDATE

Got my car back from the dealership. I also had them check into another issue that only happens periodically (clicking sound sometimes comes from engine when accelerating relatively hard). They thought the engine sound and break issue might be related but they could not replicate anything when test driving. They said there was a software issue that required an update and also tightened the suspension. I'm not convinced that either issue won't happen again. But it's documented so if it happens again the car is going straight back. Until then I guess I cross my fingers, but I really wish I could fully trust my vehicle.

·
Registered
770 Posts
UPDATE

Got my car back from the dealership. I also had them check into another issue that only happens periodically (clicking sound sometimes comes from engine when accelerating relatively hard). They thought the engine sound and break issue might be related but they could not replicate anything when test driving. They said there was a software issue that required an update and also tightened the suspension. I'm not convinced that either issue won't happen again. But it's documented so if it happens again the car is going straight back. Until then I guess I cross my fingers, but I really wish I could fully trust my vehicle.
Is this a Drive-E car? There's another thread somewhere around here about the clicking sound on acceleration with 4-cylinder engines. I don't think anyone has figured it out but a bunch of us have heard it. (I'm inclined to comment because I just heard it again this morning...one of a couple mysterious pops/clicks that have me scratching my head.)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Is this a Drive-E car? There's another thread somewhere around here about the clicking sound on acceleration with 4-cylinder engines. I don't think anyone has figured it out but a bunch of us have heard it. (I'm inclined to comment because I just heard it again this morning...one of a couple mysterious pops/clicks that have me scratching my head.)
Yes, drive-E. It only happens to me when I'm not in ECO. I drive in ECO quite a bit because I do a lot of highway driving. But merging onto the interstate when I want to quickly pick up speed and the car makes a terrible clicking sound which disappears as soon as I take my foot off the accelerator. I'll search for other threads on this topic...thanks for the heads up.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts