SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah, yeah, we've talked about this before. I've searched, but only to confuse myself even more.

- First of all, when do you all replace your rotors and pads (what mm?)

- I originally had my heart set on Hawk HPS, since that seems to be the common upgrade from OEM, but is it true that those will cause quicker wear to the rotors? Or is this justified with longer living pads?

I plan on sticking with OEM rotors since this is just a daily driver.

- While I have the wheels and brakes out, I figured I might as well put in adjustable rear camber arms. You all have gotten me worried with being lowered and getting uneven wear (not quite showing yet, but still a fear with a 2" drop in the rear). I came across these on Amazon. Anyone have reviews on those or any other products that they recommend?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
15,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Front brake disc diameter: 25 mm (change at 23 mm)
Rear brake disc diameter: 11 mm (change at 9 mm)

I am running EBC Turbo Groove and EBC Greenstuff discs and pads allround and don't want different anymore. Just love the way they bite with the standard calipers (and my front brake discs are only 278 mm in diameter compared to the US 300 mm as a min!).

·
Registered
290 Posts
i am getting KW V1 in order. i also am confused on some threads.
Doing a 2inch drop (the max of KW) some say we do not need the SPC rear camber arms, only needed is there is too much negative or out of spec.

I ordered my SPC rear camber from Frank of eurosporttuning and arriving to my door today. around 250 delivered and tax included.
i hope when installig the spc's there will be no problem. (like some other threads from kyle saying there is some play once installed.)

·
Super Moderator
15,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Front brake disc diameter: 25 mm (change at 23 mm)
Rear brake disc diameter: 11 mm (change at 9 mm)
So at 24.8mm front and 9.4mm rear, I should be good for a little while longer, right?

Volvo recommended replacing the rear pads at 3mm, is that the same for the front? It's hard to trust what the stealership says because they're always trying to get more money by selling things that aren't quite needed.

·
Registered
7,359 Posts

·
Registered
7,359 Posts
Were they $66 each or a set of two? That is a good price though. You can see "SPC" stamped on the arm too. lol
Priced each, but still, for $134 a set, you're not going to find lower for SPC arms!

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
So at 24.8mm front and 9.4mm rear, I should be good for a little while longer, right?

Volvo recommended replacing the rear pads at 3mm, is that the same for the front? It's hard to trust what the stealership says because they're always trying to get more money by selling things that aren't quite needed.
With 24.8mm at front, you are well good. The rear is nearly finished off though. I'd be looking into new discs for the rear. The pads don't have a "wear indicator" or limit, but I wouldn't wait too long.

Mine had LOADS of meat on them as I changed, but that was because they wee squeaking all the time...

·
Super Moderator
15,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
With 24.8mm at front, you are well good. The rear is nearly finished off though. I'd be looking into new discs for the rear. The pads don't have a "wear indicator" or limit, but I wouldn't wait too long.

Mine had LOADS of meat on them as I changed, but that was because they wee squeaking all the time...
This will be the first time I've changed the brakes on my current S40. I checked the pads and the fronts are at 8mm while the rear are at 4. I'll definitely replace the rear rotors and pads, but I'm beginning to wonder if the entire front set up was replaced recently.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
This will be the first time I've changed the brakes on my current S40. I checked the pads and the fronts are at 8mm while the rear are at 4. I'll definitely replace the rear rotors and pads, but I'm beginning to wonder if the entire front set up was replaced recently.
It sounds like it. People claim that the rears brake an awful lot more than the fronts, but I haven't been able to notice that at all (my rear pads had more meat than the fronts).

With 8mm pad thickness at the front, they are def. at least the 2nd set.

·
Registered
7,359 Posts
I replaced my rear about 10-12k before the fronts as mine also wore faster in back.

·
Super Moderator
15,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Signs of uneven tire wear are beginning to show, so adjustable camber arms are about to be purchased.

I'm assuming an alignment will be necessary after install. Could it be an option to not get another alignment? Or do you think I could dirty up the arms enough to trick my local shop?

I had the alignment done when I lowered the car, $120 for a modified suspension :mad:, and I have a 12 month warranty on it. But I know the warranty will be void after replacing parts...

·
Registered
7,359 Posts
Well, you could get the camber set to what you want yourself pretty easily. I don't know how badly it will throw out the toe, and how much that matters in the rear, but if you want some help setting camber with minimal tools (I used my iPhone), let me know. I got both within .2 degrees of each other.

·
Super Moderator
15,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Help would be much appreciated, I may be PMing once my arms get here.

So what exactly did you do?

·
Registered
7,359 Posts
I actually used the iHandy Level app to get some base camber readings which served to let me know how much adjustment I needed to make. The process is by no means the most accurate, but I was impressed with my end results, especially since I didn't want to shop messing with the arms, only adjusting toe. When you're ready, PM me and I can give you a more detailed process.

·
Super Moderator
15,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you for your PM Veefifty! I actually just took the car into Kauffman and they adjusted everything/did a full alignment for free, exactly to my desired specs! They considered it still under warranty since my last alignment was only a few months ago.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.