SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,<BR>I recently installed zimmerman rotors and changed all my pads to carbon fiber pads. The braking power is great...but my rear brakes whistle REALLY REALLY loud. Does anyone know how to solve this problem??? I saw the shims for the rear brakes on EasternAerospace.com, but I dunno if it works. Could my problem be because of new pads on old brake rotors...because I haven't changed the rear rotors since I got the car back in 1998 V70 back in fall of 97.<BR>

·
Premium Member
6,997 Posts
Rockville MD? Welcome. You aren't that silver S70 with the V70R 5-spoke wheels are you? I've seen that car at Kentlands.<P>Anyway, it's my opinion that it could be the rotors. Another cause of whistling is using enough adhesive on the pad itelf, to keep the pad from vibrating under use. This could be compounded by the use of the older, possibly still grooved, rotor. How long have you been driving on the new setup. Have you bed them in yet?

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,<BR>Sorry to burst you bubble, but no, I'm not the Kentland V70. I drive the Twinbrook V70 from the ghetto with steel wheels and 2 missing hub caps. And I saw the 17 inch twisted 5 spoke on ebay. They look really really nice; I wanted to get them, but the email addy didn't belong to the seller of those rims plus it's pickup only in Manhattan, NY.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
George,<BR>By adhesive...do you mean something like silicone grease, or lubricant? Do you think that and maybe rear brake shims would do the trick? and where can I get rear brake shims from?<P>-Kit

·
Premium Member
6,997 Posts
I've never actually had a problem with our 850R. I do know though that whining brakes often comes from the pads vibrating. When I replace my pads at a buddy's garage, I use a brake adhesive compound that he has, and apply it to the pad before I install it. This keeps it stuck and prevents it from vibrating. <P>Shims might work, but I don't know where you'd get them and I've never had to use them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts