SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Time to order parts for brakes - mine is over 81000 miles and appears to have all original brake parts

Looks like FCP-Euro has a decent deal on OEM pads (Volvo/Brembo)

Tire Rack seems to have a decent deal on the Brembo Rotors in the proper size.
I tried to match-up what TR has for the Vendor Part Number with Brembo's website, and it does not seem to match exactly (actually, Brembo's website added to the confusion - you get different part numbers, depending on where on their site you look....)

It sounds like Brembo recently started selling rotors that have some new anti-corrosion "UV Coating".
I want new rotors that are less likely to look rusty through the wheels, but I want to stick with plain surfaces (skip slotting/cross-drilling/dimpling), since mine is a Daily Driver.

Since stock brakes are Brembo / Volvo worked with Brembo - I am guessing that their parts should work just fine. Then again, something else on their website suggests that for certain rotors - they use a stamped-steel inside insert bonded to the cast rotor. Call me old-fashioned, but I would think that a 1-piece casting, if done properly, would be preferable.

Anybody have any experience with Brembo's parts to offer?

·
Registered
635 Posts
they work just fine. I've got CTek rotors (Centric) and they also work fine. The CTek's inner hat looks pretty rusty real quick, evidently that's teh only difference between them and the centric premiums ;)

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
Time to order parts for brakes - mine is over 81000 miles and appears to have all original brake parts

Looks like FCP-Euro has a decent deal on OEM pads (Volvo/Brembo)

Tire Rack seems to have a decent deal on the Brembo Rotors in the proper size.
I tried to match-up what TR has for the Vendor Part Number with Brembo's website, and it does not seem to match exactly (actually, Brembo's website added to the confusion - you get different part numbers, depending on where on their site you look....)

It sounds like Brembo recently started selling rotors that have some new anti-corrosion "UV Coating".
I want new rotors that are less likely to look rusty through the wheels, but I want to stick with plain surfaces (skip slotting/cross-drilling/dimpling), since mine is a Daily Driver.

Since stock brakes are Brembo / Volvo worked with Brembo - I am guessing that their parts should work just fine. Then again, something else on their website suggests that for certain rotors - they use a stamped-steel inside insert bonded to the cast rotor. Call me old-fashioned, but I would think that a 1-piece casting, if done properly, would be preferable.

Anybody have any experience with Brembo's parts to offer?
Sounds like Centric Premium rotors fit your needs perfectly. Send me an email for a quote: [email protected]

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
I have the brembo rotors on order from tire rack , they have been back ordered for about a week now. We will see if they come in. I may just break down and buy the EST 2 piece .

·
Registered
11,936 Posts
Get rotors/pads from Zeckhausen.com
If you have any questions on what to get they will be happy to help.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
I have the brembo rotors on order from tire rack , they have been back ordered for about a week now. We will see if they come in. I may just break down and buy the EST 2 piece .
EST two piece is what I will replace mine with when they need replacing, I'll stick with OEM pads though, I just have a hard time trusting aftermarket pads, especially because I plan on tracking in the summer and have heard bad things about aftermarket pads and fade.

Rears will need it soon, fronts only have 10,000 miles.

·
Registered
584 Posts
EST two piece is what I will replace mine with when they need replacing, I'll stick with OEM pads though, I just have a hard time trusting aftermarket pads, especially because I plan on tracking in the summer and have heard bad things about aftermarket pads and fade.

Rears will need it soon, fronts only have 10,000 miles.
You may want to revisit that. Taking stock pads to the track will leave a lot of dust and fade in your wake....

Most people specifically *change* pads when they go to the track, to get better initial bite and superior heat resistance.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
You may want to revisit that. Taking stock pads to the track will leave a lot of dust and fade in your wake....
I heard differently, from what I've heard and read up on the stock pads that our R's use are fantastic for track use, it's only when "upgrading" to pads that offer better initial bite that you start to lose heat resistance on the track.

Brake dust and worse initial bite doesn't bother me.

·
Registered
584 Posts
OK, you have a formed opinion, to each their own. I echo comment above - call Dave Z before you order anything or go to the track. I would take stock rotors and track pads over two piece rotors and stock pads all day long. Track pads have much better characteristics for track usage, but usually have two disadvantages - cost and squeal.
We have also highjacked the OP thread. To his question,get Centric or something with a coated center section. That will hold up nicely. I did go with stock discs when I swapped mine, wish I would have used a coated version.
Mobile posting, sorry for spelling errors. Autocorrect rarely works right...

·
Registered
753 Posts
I heard differently, from what I've heard and read up on the stock pads that our R's use are fantastic for track use, it's only when "upgrading" to pads that offer better initial bite that you start to lose heat resistance on the track.

My aftermarket pads and 1 pc slotted rotors didnt fade during the entire event.
My transmission and power steering starting to overheat before my brakes.

·
Registered
337 Posts

What you probably "heard" is the constant "doom and gloom" warnings from Warpedcow about how the Hawk HPS pads are not meant for the track (anyone who buys the HPS pad already knows that), and how the OEM pads are better at the track. He's correct, but that doesn't mean the HPS pad is not a good Street pad (which it is). The same can be said about any Ceramic pad (garbage like Akebono , etc.)

There are a number of aftermarket brake pads which are fantastic for their intended use. There is no "Perfect Pad" out there, but excellent track ready pads include the Ferodo DS3000, Porterfield R4, PFC97 or PFC01, Raybestos ST-41 and others.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts