SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I was driving on the expressay and upon applying the brakes I noticed a shuddering/thumping that felt like it originated in the rear of the car..I felt it right through to the steering wheel and the whole car seemed to shake whenever I applied the brakes at 50+ mph...It doesnt happen down at lower city street speeds and only happens once in a while. Could my rotors need replacing or resurfacing? Anyone had this problem?<BR><BR>
<i>Modified by cicatrizdare at 4:57 PM 6-3-2006</i>

·
Registered
323 Posts
im not sure myself how ABS tech works, i'm sure someone here will but I've had it before where it kicks in on sudden braking even its not slamming onto them<br>i get it on wet roads too<br>and sometimes i get it when I think it shouldnt but leave it to the cars brain to decide

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts
Re: Brake Thumping/Shuddering (cicatrizdare)

This sounds like a rotor issue, maybe warped due to over/under torque, etc. I would have it checked asap.<p>Tom.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Brake Thumping/Shuddering (tmtalpey)

When I take it to service should I tell them that I think there's a problem with the rotors, along with the shaking problem at cruising speeds?

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts

Just demonstrate it to them, don't tell them what to do.<p>Tom.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Brake Thumping/Shuddering (tmtalpey)

It doesnt seem to be a continuous thing though, itll happen on occasion when im driving for more than half an hour at +40-50 mph...and i'm not sure if theyll be able to reproduce the problem..<p>If they can't reproduce the problem but I insist that its there, can they still be made to change/adjust/do whatever they can to the rotors or anything that might solve it?

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts

If it isn't continuous, then try to figure out what exactly triggers it. I am guessing heat, which means you should try 5 or 10 HARD stops from at least 40mph, until you smell some brakes. Then see if it happens.<p>Tom.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts