SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else have never ending brake squeal? I can't figure it out. The pads and rotors look practically brand new, just took it all apart, tried some of the "non-squeal" grease you can buy, no real difference. I guess I may just change pads and rotors to be sure they aren't just lower quality bits? The brakes feel fine, no vibration, good stopping power, they're just overly loud.

·
Super Moderator
15,200 Posts
Which grease did you buy? Make sure you smother it all over the back of the pads and the clips. The one time I forgot to do this and the squeal was unbearable. But none of my cars have squeaky brakes unless it's a cold humid morning and I'm just starting off.

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
I have this currently. Did a brake job about a year ago and the brakes didn't start squealing until recently. I used good quality parts, Bosch pads and rotors. I did put a thin layer of grease on when doing the job but maybe I should have been more generous. Are you sure the rears have the shims installed? The shims are an OEM design and idk if they can contribute to squeal but just an idea.

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
Additional info;

My squeal only happens some of the time and it only happens when slowing down from 20 to 0. Any higher speed and it does not happen.

One of these days I plan to pull the pads back out. I already bought a nice large tube of permatex grease so I'm not tempted to do a thin layer a second time. When I did the brakes last year I had those little packets so I was being frugal.

·
Super Moderator
15,200 Posts
I always spread as much grease on as possible, install the pads, and wipe away the excess that oozes out the sides.

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
I've promised to myself in the future I'll always make sure I have more than enough in hand so I don't short myself. While it's a very fixable mistake, it's going to suck to pull out all the pads just to regrease. Oh and on top of that, squeal noises can be deceiving when it comes to their true origin so I'll have to do both back calipers.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
1 - 7 of 7 Posts