SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brake's are squealing every time i brake. I noticed this after a car wash about a month ago, i figured it would eventually go away but it has not. After getting a rotation and balance i noticed that i had about 80% left on my pads... any tips guys??

·
Premium Member
10,797 Posts
My brake's are squealing every time i brake. I noticed this after a car wash about a month ago, i figured it would eventually go away but it has not. After getting a rotation and balance i noticed that i had about 80% left on my pads... any tips guys??
My squeal like a pig being murdered....usually under light braking and 10mph to 0....it's killing me. Is that what yours is doing?

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah, but it's not just under light braking it happens every time i brake... it's starting to annoy me to the point where i might have to do a whole new brake set up (rotors and pads)...

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
Remove the pads and apply some anti-squeak goop (on the back of the pad of course).

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Remove the pads and apply some anti-squeak goop (on the back of the pad of course).
It would stop squealing if you put it on the other surface too :p
The driver may start the squealing when he tries to stop though. ;)

On a more serious note, the OEM pads squeal. It's just really annoying, but you sort of get used to it.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Mine squeal at low speeds as well.

I've heard the hi perf pads squeal more. Try the no-squeak grease and see if it helps

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
The oem pads and oem discs don't squeeal if installed correctly with the oem anti squeal copper paste applied correctly. There are some exceptions (with or without the dampeners) but these issues should have been fixed by now (issue in 04/05 IIRC). I guess there may be a few around???

There are many threads on this - some of the most recent 2010 and 2011 are the best with images and good explanations plus links if you can find them. Search terms brake squeel, break squeal, etc...

Is it still ok for me to post? My challenger has an R in it and nowhere does it say "design".

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
The oem pads and oem discs don't squeeal if installed correctly with the oem anti squeal copper paste applied correctly. There are some exceptions (with or without the dampeners) but these issues should have been fixed by now (issue in 04/05 IIRC). I guess there may be a few around???

There are many threads on this - some of the most recent 2010 and 2011 are the best with images and good explanations plus links if you can find them. Search terms brake squeel, break squeal, etc...

Is it still ok for me to post? My challenger has an R in it and nowhere does it say "design".
Only if you twin turbo it ;)

·
Registered
53 Posts
i was under the impression that the squealing would go away in time??

i have brand new rotors/pads (installed at dealer before i bought the car) they are at better than 90%

they squeal HORRIBLY at low breaking speed, my indy said that it should go away in time i've brought it in to him twice and he assures me theres nothing he can do to make it go away??

this noise is definitely something that i will NEVER get use to or 'learn to live with' it is beyond embarrassing to pull up to a light sounding like a train stopping.

i guess i'll be checking into the damper fix, although that link doesnt make that sound like a perfect fix? not sure how its possible to release a vehicle that sounds like mine it makes zero sense to me why this is an issue at all.

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
The R OEM brake pads and rotors will squeal if you don't use your brakes hard. If you drive the car like it's an egg delivery truck, you will have this problem.
If they are squealing now, lightly sand the pads and rotors and install anti squeal grease. Then do a proper bedding procedure and start learning to brake later and hard.

·
Registered
53 Posts
They are lightly sanded and greased and installed properly, and I hard break as much as possible but its pretty much horrendous in stop n go traffic. I would go with new pads if I knew for sure it would fix it but it would not make sense to get aftermarket rotors at this point. Ill check into the damper fix,

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Who did you get your pads from? You have to make sure they are OEM Jurid not OEM anything else. Some vendors will substitute textar pads in if you are not paying attention. If you got them from the dealer - they should be right though. Whenever I got some noise from my pads (roughly six month period) I pulled them off reapplied copper grease and it was another six months of zero noise braking. Any type of braking... You don't have to brake hard in these cars to avoid squeal. You must apply the copper grease liberally though. Also make sure you did not use the shims that sometimes come with the pads. Are the shims there?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts