SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading the thread on "What went wrong with your XC40 today" I feel that this topic needs it own thread.

- here are my main questions:

1. does this happen on ALL Volvo's?
2. are the front pads and rotors the ones that wear fast or do all four?
3. I find this amazing that brake rotors and pads have to be replaced almost after 10k or 20k miles !!!!!! That's almost as frequent as an oil change :confused: Is that really the case here??

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
I had my 11 S60 for 77k miles and IIRC, I only replaced pads/ rotors once.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
From the OP

No, not all. Maybe more often on the first sets from factory, if not replaced for other reason like squealing.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
No, not all. Maybe more often on the first sets from factory, if not replaced for other reason like squealing.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

That makes no sense .... you buy a new car and the first set of brake pads and rotors are from the factory (under warranty), don't they get replaced by another set from the factory?? are you saying the second set is an aftermarket product??

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
That makes no sense .... you buy a new car and the first set of brake pads and rotors are from the factory (under warranty), don't they get replaced by another set from the factory?? are you saying the second set is an aftermarket product??
No, the second set is not after market and yes the second set is OEM. On some early models (new SPA, new CMA), Volvo made some improvements on the pads. Maybe the rotors too but I don’t remember that detail.

Anyway, the Volvo service centers / dealers would replace with the improved second set under warranty when issues arose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
After reading the thread on "What went wrong with your XC40 today" I feel that this topic needs it own thread.

2. are the front pads and rotors the ones that wear fast or do all four?
3. I find this amazing that brake rotors and pads have to be replaced almost after 10k or 20k miles !!!!!! That's almost as frequent as an oil change :confused: Is that really the case here??
In 8 previous Volvos only had one set of rotors replaced. With my 19 XC60 replaced front set at around 6700 miles (did not change pads). Now I'm at 13250 and they are beginning to warp again. The XC40 had front rotors changed earlier this month at about 3700 miles. I asked the service guys if they were seeing higher than normal rotor warping issues. They said no. We drive moderately on 98% flat roads so no strong braking related to hills etc. Something isn't right. I'm sure I'll be on the hook for the next set.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Brakes are based off driving habits and location (highway or stop lights). This is like comparing MPG with others. Its not possible to come to an intelligent conclusion.

SPA vehicles will need rear pads every 30-40k and some times earlier if you are a dumb driver/hard on your brakes frequently. Fronts usually last 50k-60k from what I have seen and I only replace pads with rotors due to the vibration issues that arise and the rotor surface glazing/being uneven).

CMA is yet to be seen.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Our XC40 needed new rotors at 7,500 because the front were warped. We don’t drive the XC40 as aggressively as our VWs and my wife’s 2007 VW GLI needed new brake pads at 90,000 miles and my 2013 VW GTI is on the original brakes at 56,000 miles.

I have concerns on what type of parts Volvo is putting on the vehicles for brakes.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Brakes are based off driving habits and location (highway or stop lights). This is like comparing MPG with others. Its not possible to come to an intelligent conclusion.

SPA vehicles will need rear pads every 30-40k and some times earlier if you are a dumb driver/hard on your brakes frequently. Fronts usually last 50k-60k from what I have seen and I only replace pads with rotors due to the vibration issues that arise and the rotor surface glazing/being uneven).

CMA is yet to be seen.

I dont know why your mileage numbers are backwards, becuase most of the braking happems on the front wheels and the back brakes ALWAYS last longer.

Regardless of your driving habits this kind of wear on brake rotors and pads is way above abnormal. It must be costing Volvo a ton of money for doing all the replacements under warranty, but more importantly its really bad for its reputation.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Our XC40 needed new rotors at 7,500 because the front were warped. We don’t drive the XC40 as aggressively as our VWs and my wife’s 2007 VW GLI needed new brake pads at 90,000 miles and my 2013 VW GTI is on the original brakes at 56,000 miles.

I have concerns on what type of parts Volvo is putting on the vehicles for brakes.
7500 miles???!!! something stinks in Denmark.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts

CMA is yet to be seen.

I dont know why your mileage numbers are backwards, becuase most of the braking happems on the front wheels and the back brakes ALWAYS last longer.

Regardless of your driving habits this kind of wear on brake rotors and pads is way above abnormal. It must be costing Volvo a ton of money for doing all the replacements under warranty, but more importantly its really bad for its reputation.
Hi numbers are not backwards at all. I've seen SPA rear brakes need replacement for wear between 20k and 40k miles. Fronts last longer.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Hi numbers are not backwards at all. I've seen SPA rear brakes need replacement for wear between 20k and 40k miles. Fronts last longer.
I don't recall where I saw/ read this, but it was said that Volvos are rear brake heavy in order to flatten out the braking dive. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I don't recall where I saw/ read this, but it was said that Volvos are rear brake heavy in order to flatten out the braking dive. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
It doesn't make any sense. Its Physics. When you brake the majority of the weight shifts forward. If the car was intentionally designed for rear braking bias then the thing would be sliding all over the place. Just like a motorcycle, the front brakes are what actually give you the stopping power. The rear brakes are used for low speed. Engineers design the system to work in unison, but because the center of gravity moves forward in braking, the front brakes take the majority of the load. Nose diving has more to do with suspension.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Your old school and generic knowledge of brakes is wrong when talking about SPA and CMA brakes.

It is well established fact that SPA rear inboard pads wear faster than every other pad on the vehicle due to electric parking brake, Adaptive Cruise/PA, and auto-hold.

Dont question it just know that this is fact.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts