SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to hear different opinions regarding Brake rotors.

IPD has 3 different types including Brembo available.

My local part shop also has OEM for $50 each

Why should I pay for IPD $84.50 when my local part store has them for $50?

I have not increased the performance and most likely will not so cannot see the benefit of Drilled or slotted rotors.

What would you do ?

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I would like to hear different opinions regarding Brake rotors.

IPD has 3 different types including Brembo available.

My local part shop also has OEM for $50 each

Why should I pay for IPD $84.50 when my local part store has them for $50?

I have not increased the performance and most likely will not so cannot see the benefit of Drilled or slotted rotors.

What would you do ?
50 each for brembo replacements?

if so, do it!

·
Registered
45 Posts
If it's a pure street car you don't need slotted, and cross drilled is a waste. Whatever you buy I'd stay with Canadian or US made....no Chinese crap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
NAPA have the 305mm rotors at $38.12 ea

·
Registered
166 Posts
I used one of the high performance discs off rockauto. I dont remember which ones they were, but they were poweder coated black on the hat and in between the layers. I didnt get drilled or slotted. matched them with the hawk HPS pads and i dont have any complaints. Im not too sure what the differences are between OEM and cheap aftermarket ones are though, besides the angled cooling vents. If the disc thickness and size are the same I cant see how much of a change it would be..

·
Registered
867 Posts
My experience with the cheaper priced auto parts store rotors is they are thinner metal - you can feel the weight difference when holding one in your hand vs. a premium version from the same store.

If they are made offshore, who knows what the metal is made of and if they have any hardness treating and if so, how deep that is into the metal surface.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Volvo Brand is a quality Rotor made by textar. Brembo blanks are garbage.

If you can buy Textar Coated Rotors for $50 since they are the same as Volvo OES.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Volvo Brand is a quality Rotor made by textar. Brembo blanks are garbage.

If you can buy Textar Coated Rotors for $50 since they are the same as Volvo OES.
I always thought that brembo made the rotors.

Were can you find textar coated rotors for that price?

·
Registered
796 Posts
Textar part #s per their application guide:
Front 330mm: 92178103
Rear 330mm: 92178303

Good luck finding them!

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
I don't know if this applies to the R rotors or not, but a few months ago I bought Volvo rotors from Tasca for my Dad's S70... they are now made in China.:angryfire:

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
Bought my rotors from DRT-Sport in Lowell, MA. Not even a hiccup with them....PERFECT ROTORS. 70K miles of experience.

Drilled and Slotted Centric Blanks....Little Chinese gentleman behind a CNC machine doing the drilling and slotting....Now technically, this is made in USA...butttt....

·
Registered
753 Posts
I have been running on a set of PowerSlot slotted rotors for 50k miles with multiple track days and no brake fade or warped rotors (I brake hard and I am in the gold caliper club).
Still planty of life left on the rotors.
It kills brake pads tho.

But if you are just daily drive your car Brembo blanks are fine.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I don't know if this applies to the R rotors or not, but a few months ago I bought Volvo rotors from Tasca for my Dad's S70... they are now made in China.:angryfire:
From what I've gathered, there are very few if any companies that actually use USA steel.

Many will start with foreign blanks and machine them in the USA or other countries, then claim they are "manufactured" there.

As for arguing which is better, it comes down to what you can justify spending money on. Cheaper rotors are just that, cheaper to replace when you crack them or wear them too thin. I highly doubt any of you will crack your rotors on the street either. I'd like to see Fishey comment again in here as you guys tend to get carried away on this topic.

As for my actual recommendation: Centric High Carbon rotors and the pad of your choosing. Hawk HPS is nice for a slightly more aggressive pad, still not track ready or anything, but typically handle a little more heat than factory spec pads.

j-velocity
Brake fade would be a product of your pads, not the rotors. It's also very common for the rotor to crack from heat stress rather than to warp. Which pads are you using?

·
Registered
870 Posts
Bought my rotors from DRT-Sport in Lowell, MA. Not even a hiccup with them....PERFECT ROTORS. 70K miles of experience.

Drilled and Slotted Centric Blanks....Little Chinese gentleman behind a CNC machine doing the drilling and slotting....Now technically, this is made in USA...butttt....
DRT is a quality operation and product. I ran rotors from DRT for over 80K. Drilled and slotted.

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
^No doubt about that, but Volvo rotors were historically made in the EU (Poland or France IIRC) and they've always been highly regarded as quality rotors. Not so much so that they're now made in China.

Not to get into another argument about China vs. the world...

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
^No doubt about that, but Volvo rotors were historically made in the EU (Poland or France IIRC) and they've always been highly regarded as quality rotors. Not so much so that they're now made in China.

Not to get into another argument about China vs. the world...
Well what about made by Chinese on USA soil.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I used one of the high performance discs off rockauto. I dont remember which ones they were, but they were poweder coated black on the hat and in between the layers. I didnt get drilled or slotted. matched them with the hawk HPS pads and i dont have any complaints. Im not too sure what the differences are between OEM and cheap aftermarket ones are though, besides the angled cooling vents. If the disc thickness and size are the same I cant see how much of a change it would be..
Drilled and/or slotted rotors are over-kill for a street-only daily driver. They may look good but you won't notice anything beyond that. I'm second Vovo's sentiment in that the powder coated hat on the StopTech rotors was a big selling point for me. The hats on the OEM rotors that were on my car when I bought it convinced me that a powder coated hat was the way to go. Avoid rust and corrosion.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts