SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Which brake option should I go with?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, So my R is ready for a new set of front pads and rotors, and I'm torn on what parts to replace the factory pads and rotors with. I'm strongly considering buying my pads and rotors from FCP Euro, but I'm not sure which parts to go with. I've not read much about Meyle's brake pads and rotors except that they're made in China instead of Germany despite the label on the box, but I've also read that the Brembo rotors are also being made in China. This is what I've narrowed my choices down to:

Option #1: Brembo front rotors and Hawk HPS Pads: $301.95 to my door with free shipping.

Option #2: Meyle front rotors and Meyle Ceramic pads: $170.11 to my door.

So while the difference in price between the two options isn't nothing, ($131.84 to be exact), I want to buy whichever option will give me the best combination of quiet, reliable performance and long life.

I just bought this car a week ago knowing that the front brakes were getting close to replacement thicknesses, and I'm still getting to know it and sorting out it's issues and quirks, so I don't want to throw more money at the brakes if the Meyle parts will deliver similar performance.

Thoughts and opinions welcomed and encouraged, thanks in advance for your input.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I think for that price I would go with EBC rotors and pads.

·
Registered
753 Posts
If you want performance pads stay away from ceremic pads.
At least get some semi-metallic pads.

·
Registered
919 Posts
From what I understand, unless you're taking the car to the track, the factory option will be the best. Even if you are, factory equipment is excellent wrt brakes- but drilled/slotted has its particular benefits too.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Next month I'm getting a set of Hawk HPS pads, all four corners. They'll be replacing the Monroe ceramics I've had for the last year. Despite the Monroe's cheap price they've worked well and made the car stop when I wanted. They are noisy bastards though, and the HPS's are very highly recommended.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
oem rotors and hawk pads we bill fine for the street unless you want to spend the money on slotted/dimpled/drilled. I'd say invest the extra on other things. go option 1.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all of the responses everyone, I ordered the Brembo rotors and Hawk HPS pads from FCP Euro last night. Looking forward to getting them in and putting them on!

·
Registered
998 Posts
Can't make up your mind? Stock rotors, stock pads haha..

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
EBC Yellows. Don't get HPS's... I've started to not like them so much since running them on the R, they are being very inconsistent in braking power from day to day.. EBC yellows stop like mad.

·
Registered
22 Posts
About six weeks ago I replaced the pads on my caR. The stock rotors were fine after a minimal turning, my caR just hit 45K miles. I chose Hawk Performance Ceramics. I am very happy with my decision. The brakes are very quiet and smooth. I don’t feel and hear the grinding grab of the stock pads, but after many aggressive stops I feel that these pads stop my caR better than the originals. Oh, and the best part...no brake dust! I don’t have filthy pegs two days after washing my caR. This is my daily driver and while I do get a wild hair up my ass every now and then, I must say that I slam on my brakes from idiots on the interstate more often that I punch the throttle. In my opinion you can’t go wrong with the Hawk PC’s.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I have EBC redstuff pads on my XJR, it's a 4000lb car, it stops like it's as heavy as a feather. my dad has ebc yellowstuff pads and the ebc slotted rotors on his 5000lb pickup truck, it stops pretty impressively for as huge as it is

ebc is well made, well priced, reasonable braking equipment

·
Registered
103 Posts
Just changed my rotors as well....used R1Concepts and Stoptech pads.....initial bite is somewhat diminished as it takes significantly more pedal travel to slow the car.....thinking I need to flush the brake system?

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok, I went with the "fan favorite" combo of the Brembo rotors and Hawk HPS pads.

Installation was a breeze, I had all of my torque specs and "tips" on hand from my friend who has been a Volvo tech for years. I stayed late at work on Thursday evening and flushed my brake system, then fitted the pads and rotors, which allowed the roads to be practically empty by the time I was ready to perform the bedding in procedure outlined on the Hawk box. I worked through the bedding in procedure completely, and everything seemed fine.

The following morning (yesterday), depening upon how much pedal pressure I apply and how long I apply the brakes into a stop seem to generate a hellaciously loud squeal that doesn't occur all of the time, even if I attempt to duplicate the same stop or braking pattern. The worst squeal was pulling out of my neighborhood yesterday morning, the first stop was really obnoxious.

I've never fitted Hawk pads before, they seem to be very highly recommended here, hence my reasoning on giving them a try. Should I drive on them a few more days and see if the noise improves or goes away, or give FCP a call and get something else to replace them with?

***Disclaimer***

Please, before you accuse me of improperly installing anything or not using appropriate lubricants, torque specs, etc., I've been a service technician for the last eight years and have never had a set of brakes squeal like this. I've installed hundreds of sets of brake pads and rotors and I'm at a loss as to why these are as noisy as they are.

By all means, if you've experienced anything similar, please share your experience and/or correction for the squeal. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
HPS pads seldomly squeal for me as well, I've had my pads properly lubricated with the grease that comes with the pads. I'm likely going to switch my pads to either Ferodo or EBC. Personally, I think because the HPS are of metallic composition, it can prone to squeal in certain conditions.

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
DRT D/S Rotors, StopTech Street Performance. Done and Done. Happy and Happy. Alive and Alive. Stops like the dickens....seldomly squeals like a monkey.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm hoping that the noise level will lessen, but I'm not sure that is a realistic expectation. I've just emailed Hawk to see what they have to say about it.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
No squeal whatsoever on mine. I got a bit of noise just after install, but that went away after a day of use. -I know that doesn't help, but there's got to be something going on with yours if you're getting that much noise.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No squeal whatsoever on mine. I got a bit of noise just after install, but that went away after a day of use. -I know that doesn't help, but there's got to be something going on with yours if you're getting that much noise.
Kind of how I feel, too. I've done too many brake jobs that haven't given me any issues whatsoever to think this is at all normal. I've been out running errands today, the intermittent squeal is still there, and now I notice a deep rotational noise, only under braking coming from the front, almost as though I'm developing a pulsation from an uneven buildup of friction material on the rotors.

I hate to say it, but I'm beginning to think I should've just bought the Meyle discs and pads.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts