SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, getting a lot of vibrations in the brake pedal/wheel under hard braking. I'm figuring it's the rotors and to my knowledge the brakes have never been serviced.

I'm thinking of replacing the brakes/rotors/lines.

Any recommendations as far as brands?

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I went with HART brake rotors and ceramic pads. Added SS lines and DOT 4 fluid all at the same. Its been 6 months and the rotors still have a cross hatch on them. I use the brakes HARD coming down from tipple digits many times each week. I could not be more happy!

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
Still waiting for Amazon to get the Brembo rotors and pads in stock...maybe if enough of us order them, they will be forced to restock!

·
Registered
199 Posts

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I went with HART brake rotors and ceramic pads. Added SS lines and DOT 4 fluid all at the same. Its been 6 months and the rotors still have a cross hatch on them. I use the brakes HARD coming down from tipple digits many times each week. I could not be more happy!
you got those from ebay? they don't seem to be sold elsewhere online...I need to do brakes pretty soon and the Harts are by far the cheapest I've seen. $150 cheaper than genuine Volvo on FCP and $200 less than Stoptechs on TireRack. Prob gonna pick up a set if a performance is as good as you say. Price can't be beat, though I'm always a little skeptical of ebay quality.

Edit: those amazon links Veefifty posted might be the best option. $286 total and you get OEM quality. I wish they had an estimate for the restock though.

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
Edit: those amazon links Veefifty posted might be the best option. $286 total and you get OEM quality. I wish they had an estimate for the restock though.
I can't figure out how Amazon works - they've been out of stock for months now. If I ordered them, it makes me wonder if they would fulfill on a per order basis (maybe they drop-ship these?). Maybe they don't want to stock them since it's a low-demand part?

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
I've got the cross drilled and slotted rotors / brake kit from powerstop (work great!). Previously I had the same kit for my S40 and it also was a powerfull stopping machine. Great upgrade.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Amazon depends on the seller to send more stock to the FBA warehouses. But Brembo (being the seller) also has the option to limit or eliminate it from stock on Amazon even if there are units in the warehouse.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I've got the cross drilled and slotted rotors / brake kit from powerstop (work great!). Previously I had the same kit for my S40 and it also was a powerfull stopping machine. Great upgrade.
$280 shipped from Amazon w/ available 10% coupon. Not bad.

Amazon depends on the seller to send more stock to the FBA warehouses. But Brembo (being the seller) also has the option to limit or eliminate it from stock on Amazon even if there are units in the warehouse.
I don't think these are FBA though. Normally there's a line that says "Fulfilled by Amazon" but this one only says "Ships from and sold by Amazon.com".

·
Registered
199 Posts
Hm. On my phone I saw "fulfilled by Amazon". Either way, it still seems to be "out of stock"

If I have extra pennies after Friday (4 year old kid is a KILLER at Christmas time!!!), I'm on board with the mass order fest.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
you got those from ebay? they don't seem to be sold elsewhere online...I need to do brakes pretty soon and the Harts are by far the cheapest I've seen. $150 cheaper than genuine Volvo on FCP and $200 less than Stoptechs on TireRack. Prob gonna pick up a set if a performance is as good as you say. Price can't be beat, though I'm always a little skeptical of ebay quality.

Yes, they are indeed off of ebay. I have used them on several cars. I can vouch for the quality. Once broken in they are every bit as good as the Brembos. The one catch is that they have a anti rust plating takes about 200 miles to wear off compared to the Brembo rotors. So, the rotors are noisy at first due to the drills, slots etc. The xdrils are chamfered but the rotors are still noisy for a couple of hundred miles.

One plus on the plated rotors, the outside simply will not rust so they look great for a long time. Oh, also the rotors are drilled and slotted directionally per side. Unlike cheap stuff usually found on ebay.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
ive got akebono pads with centric rotors and they been pretty good so far. No dust at all and they are quiet.
these were recommended to me by someone here and the price wasnt too bad. But my original (as far as i could tell were never replaced) pads and rotors lasted 115K miles before they were shaking the steering wheel during braking.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
+1

ive got akebono pads with centric rotors and they been pretty good so far. No dust at all and they are quiet.
these were recommended to me by someone here and the price wasnt too bad. But my original (as far as i could tell were never replaced) pads and rotors lasted 115K miles before they were shaking the steering wheel during braking.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I did Stoptech slotted rotors, street performance pads, and braided stainless lines (dont remember which brand). I've been happy with everything except the pads. They work well but dust like crazy.

·
Registered
199 Posts
What's the benefit of drilled AND slotted rotors over just slotted rotors?

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Alright just ordered the silver Hart rotors and pads for $243 shipped.

The listing describes drilled rotors as "keeps rotor cool by ventilating air" and slotted rotors as "improves brake system by wiping away brake dust, helps prevent pads from glazing, can improve response in wet conditions".

·
Registered
199 Posts
The listing describes drilled rotors as "keeps rotor cool by ventilating air" and slotted rotors as "improves brake system by wiping away brake dust, helps prevent pads from glazing, can improve response in wet conditions".
That makes sense. Thanks for the intel.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Alright just ordered the silver Hart rotors and pads for $243 shipped.

The drilling is really mostly for looks on aftermarket rotors. You will be happy with the rotors. Do yourself a favor and install some stainless lines at the same time. The pedal feel is so much better!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts