SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace my rear brakes in the next few months, but I have a few questions about both the front and rear pads and rotors.

I know the pads are recommended to be replaced at 3mm for both front and rear. What's the size when they're new?

What's the magic number for when to replace the front rotors? And the rear rotors? Again, what are they when they're new?

I've seen the "debates" about this, but I'll throw more questions out there since it's all related:

I figured I would just go with the rotors/pads off Viva (slotted and drilled). Anyone have any other recommendations; quality, long lasting, less dust, but not going to break the bank? While performance is always a plus, this is just a commuter car that enjoys some spirited driving every so often.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I bought the Slotted/drilled for the rears only from George of ViVa, still running OEM's in front because i still have like 70%.
About 6 months running the Viva rotors and Hawk Pads, they literally produce close to no to minimal bake dust. well maybe just a tad dust. (not like OEM's where your rims are like black.)
Braking is also strong compared to OEM'.s

Bought my car new on 2006 and just changed the rears. I dont drive too much tho, Im about 55 k Kilometers. so far i love them and would order my front's when the time comes.
BTY- No Noise! excellent quality and i would recommend them

·
Super Moderator
15,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's pretty convincing to go with Viva then. You really can't beat their prices for the quality anyway.

Where did you get the Hawk Pads?

·
Registered
290 Posts
hawk pads are also from Viva.
BTW, i will be in Atlanta Artmore hotel for the next 2 weeks :) business trip.

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Those rotors are WAY overkill for "this is just a commuter car that enjoys some spirited driving every so often." Plain old Centric rotors from Tire Rack would be fine, the new "High Carbon" model if you want to treat your car a bit. Hawk HPS Street or StopTech Street Performance Pads would be great. Hawk have slightly less dust, StopTech slightly more cold bite. Both dust way less than stock. I would recommend you just change your rotors & be done with it. You will find the wear limit stamped on the rotor somewhere. Remember that even if you are not at the limit now you may be before the new pads wear out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts