SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just purchased a 68 122s and the brakes are not working so good. If I press down on the pedal they work initially but the pedal slowly falls toward the floor. I am thinking it is the master cylinder bleeding past the piston. Thoughts?

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nope no fluid leaks.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also what does it take to add a vacuum booster? I have read that the oem ones are junk. Are there any aftermarket ones guys are using?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Check inside the pedal box for leakage. Jute sound insulation can absorb a surprising amount of fluid.

I am not trying to be some crank on originality, but in proper operating order the Amazon brakes are great. With the little extra effort required you are rewarded with more feel than a modern boosted system can provide.

Do you have drums on your '68? I struggled with long pedal motion with my '66 even with the drums properly adjusted. I notice that the cylinders had to move several milimeters before contacting the shoes. The shoes being held out by the parking brake mechanism. The shoes seemed to have a big chamfer where they contacted the cylinders. I think many of the shoes you buy are remanufactured and could actually be worn in this area. I added up a bit of material where the shoes contact the cylinder with my MIG welder, ground things down to give a about half a mm of piston motion before contact. Brakes feel great and engage with only a little pedal motion.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's what I was thinking. I have literally only driven the car off the trailer and into the garage so I really don't know how the brakes are supposed to feel.the car being as light as it is I think I will just buy that wildwood MC and run it.

Oh and there is no carpet in the car so I know it's no leaking.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I haven't been able to track down leakage in my system yet either... I am definitely losing brake fluid somewhere though, as I have to top the master cylinder off every so often. I applied a pressure bleeder and the system held pressure without leaks, but I definitly lose fluid faster than I am comfortable with. I've got the car drying off in the garage so that I can apply pressure again and look for wet spots.

Good luck in your problem solving!

I've been considering using this one, to keep the materials looking stock.

https://www.ipdusa.com/products/5163/101603-brake-master-cylinder

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
So I just purchased a 68 122s and the brakes are not working so good. If I press down on the pedal they work initially but the pedal slowly falls toward the floor. I am thinking it is the master cylinder bleeding past the piston. Thoughts?
If you don't have fluid leaking out on the floor around the wheels, then you likely have the correct diagnosis.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I am a little bummed out. After receiving the wildwood MC I noticed that it only has one line coming out of it and my factory one has 2. I'm assuming that means mine is a dual circuit?

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Cameron, I checked out your website and I noticed you are in oregon. Well I'm down here in salem. Anyway is there a preferred place to shop that's close to us?

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well after reading online I guess some of the factory MC are hard to replace as they don't make them anymore. Can someone tell Me if my MC falls into that category? Also replacement suggestions?

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well I don't know why the photo resized won't work. I even resized them using another app.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Cameron, I checked out your website and I noticed you are in oregon. Well I'm down here in salem. Anyway is there a preferred place to shop that's close to us?
Not many Volvo specific places in the Salem area that I know of - I think you'll find that just about all of us have to do mail order for parts. For the dual MC, the link shown in the previous post is the right one for your car - you can probably also get this piece from iRoll Motors in California or ipd here in Portland.

There are Wilwood master cylinders that will also work if originality isn't important.

Thanks,

Cameron
swedishrelics.com

·
Registered
205 Posts
VP auto looks like it has the replacement MC. I am sure Iroll, Scandcar, CVI .... probably have them also.

http://212.247.61.152/us/main.aspx?page=article&artno=672825
This dual MC has horizontal mounting holes - the original has vertical mounting holes. This requires an adapter and a modification of the rod connecting to the pedal.

I am in the same predicament and need a repro (Wagner no longer available) dual MC. Heck, I would buy two if I could find them. I also have been unable to find a rebuild kit.

If someone out there with a '68 has sourced this dual MC, I would be interested in knowing which manufacturer and price.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I belive you are correct and the MC is laying on its side. The one above I belive is the same and is laying on its side as well.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts