SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All<p>This is my first post on the board but I have been reading the forums for a long time and really enjoy it. Now, I have a problem with the brakes on my S70. I recently have the worn out front brakes replaced with Brembo cross drilled and stock pads by a shop. After the replacement, I noticed pedal felt higher but the initial bite was not there and required more effort to stop the car in an emergency. At first, I thought it might required some bed in for the pads and rotors. It has been almost 3 months now with more than 1000 kms. The pedal feel still didn't improve and braking performance is worst than before. One thing I suspect is that the shop didn't apply the Volvo grease when installing the pads. Would that affect braking performance? Is it the cross-drilled rotors with less surface area or the stock pad is not good enough for gross-driller rotors? Should I replace the stock pads with something like HPS? Any suggestions? Thanks<br>

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: Brake problem...Need Help (raymondy)

I would flush and rebleed the brake fluid first

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks.... I will try that on Mon. Anyone know if missing the grease between the pads and calipers would affect braking performance?

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Re: (raymondy)

No, it's purely for reducing the squeaking. Bleed the brakes, your sympthoms are like you have air in the brake system

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Some updates on my brake problem. I had a brake fluid flush and problem still exists. I took the front wheels off today and try to check for visual problems. I was holding on the brake disc and rocked it back and forth and it came lose. The disc is only holding in place by the caliper and pad and it is not attached firmly to the hub. Is that normal? What else should I check for? Thanks

·
Registered
7,737 Posts
It's normal, well sort of...there is one 10mm pin that holds it to the hub, but this is a guide pin for Volvo wheels. If it is missing it's not the end of the world. . The wheel tightened down on the hub is what cinches everything up. But if the hub wasn't on good you would have known it before now. You can look here to get a good idea about how are car's hub/brake section is: <A HREF="http://volvospeed.com/Repair/FWDbearingHub.php" TARGET="_blank">http://volvospeed.com/Repair/FWDbearingHub.php</A>

1 - 7 of 7 Posts