SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, I'm just starting to learn about the Volvo systems and various problems they might have. I have a 1998 V70 GLT that the brakes are acting up in. I'll try to describe the problem and maybe someone has an idea as to what is causing it!

List of symptoms:
- CEL is on - codes are for evap system...so not much help
- On a cold start there will be a knocking sound coming from behind the middle dash and what sounds like a mechanical part trying to activate (best way I can describe the sound) coming from the brake pedal
- Randomly when I brake at low speeds the pedal will move rapidly up and down like it is trying to catch and slipping HOWEVER, it feels more like something trying to activate (again best way I can describe it)
- When I press harder on the brake, as if I were hard braking at high speed, the movement and sound stops
- No ABS light...

I'm a little confused, the brake fluid was low so I thought it might have been an air bubble or something in the lines, I topped off the brake fluid and it stopped for a while, but is starting again. Could it still be a bubble/debris?

I also thought of the ABS module, but wouldn't that throw up a fault code?

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
First thing first, you need to check your pads and rotors and do a visual inspection of the calipers while you're at it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Brake pedal movement?

Ok guys, I'm just starting to learn about the Volvo systems and various problems they might have. I have a 1998 V70 GLT that the brakes are acting up in. I'll try to describe the problem and maybe someone has an idea as to what is causing it!

List of symptoms:
- CEL is on - codes are for evap system...so not much help
- On a cold start there will be a knocking sound coming from behind the middle dash and what sounds like a mechanical part trying to activate (best way I can describe the sound) coming from the brake pedal
- Randomly when I brake at low speeds the pedal will move rapidly up and down like it is trying to catch and slipping HOWEVER, it feels more like something trying to activate (again best way I can describe it)
- When I press harder on the brake, as if I were hard braking at high speed, the movement and sound stops
- No ABS light...

I'm a little confused, the brake fluid was low so I thought it might have been an air bubble or something in the lines, I topped off the brake fluid and it stopped for a while, but is starting again. Could it still be a bubble/debris?

I also thought of the ABS module, but wouldn't that throw up a fault code?
Hi, I am having a problem with my 2005 V70 D5 Auto Diesel. After starting the engine and driving up the road, at about 50 metres from home I hear a clunk from under the dashboard, which i have now found out is the brake pedal moving down approximately half and inch, it then comes back up. It never does it again and the braKes all work fine, maybe this is an ABS problem, any ideas?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts